Children today are so caught up in computers, video games, and television, that they really have no time to sit and concentrate about doing anything. Most of the things that they are use to doing, basically think for them, all they have to do is make a specific choice, nothing solid. With this said, their attention span has lessened over the years. Children who are three are being diagnose with attention deficit disorder faster then they can spell it. Instead of turning to medical measures, try a few things at home first.
1. Limit their time on video games, televisions, and computers. Research has said that a child who plays more then one hour on any of the three items will increase their chances of having an attention disorder by 10%. Limit their use to a couple of times a day. There is no need for them to sit and loaf around any way. They are children, teach them to have fun and be children once in awhile.
2. Buy puzzles and coloring books for them to do. Set aside an hour a day for your child to work on a puzzle or color a few pages in a coloring book everyday. When they sit and concentrate, they are using their brain to concentrate, which in turn allows them to have a better attention span.
3. Have your child sit down and write a short story about anything they want. Once they are done, have them read the story back to you and ask them why they chose that topic to write about. This kind of activity gets the mind working the way that it needs to be.
4. Instead of the television, have them take a couple of hours a day to read. Whether it is magazine or books, have them sit in a quiet area of the house and enjoy the material. If you push a child in a certain direction, many of times you will not have a problem with them going.
5. Make sure that they are eating healthy. Fresh fruits and vegetables are essential to children’s minds. If they are not eating healthy, then their memory and attention could be affected. Children should have at least four servings of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. As a parent, you must make sure they do.
You see, the tips on how to increase your child’s attention span at home, are really not that difficult. You as a parent must realize that children can get pre-occupied at times. Being pre-occupied too much can be a problem. Change their routine, and make their attention span grow larger, within just a couple of weeks, you will start to see an improvement.