If you worked hard to work up a golden tan this summer, you may not need to hit the tanning salon just yet. Too much time in a tanning bed can increase your risk of skin cancer, and you need to do whatever you can to avoid excessive UV exposure. So how do you prevent that coveted sun-kissed look from fading away?
Use some of these skincare tips to maintain your summer tan this Fall and winter, and enjoy that bronzed look for a few more weeks!
1. Avoid over exfoliating. Buffing and scrubbing your skin regularly is a great way to keep your skin looking smooth and toned, but this process will wear away your tan. Limit total body exfoliation to just once per week, or once every other week to help your tan last longer. Avoid using any type of body peels or salt scrubs if you want to maintain that sun-kissed look for a few weeks.
2. Stick with cool showers. Very hot showers and baths can strip your skin of moisture, and can make your skin look dull and dehydrated over time. Stick with cool showers that will cleanse your pores without affecting your tan.
3. Layer on the moisturizer. Use a vitamin-E infused moisturizer day and night to keep your skin looking soft, and to protect its natural moisture barrier. A lack of moisture can make our skin appear dull — your skin will lose that natural glow when it’s dehydrated. Use a high-quality moisturizer after you shower, and stick with moisturizers that contain ample amounts of shea butter, jojoba oil and other moisturizing ingredients for even more benefits.
4. Use a bronzing lotion a few days per week. You can enhance your tan by applying a bronzing lotion a few times a week. These lotions will bring out your natural glow while delivering a dose of moisture. Use these a few times per week to maintain your tan and keep your skin looking healthy throughout Fall.
5. Eat your fruits and veggies. Eating foods that contain a lot of water, essential minerals and vitamins can help to make your skin glow and will enhance your tan. Fruits and veggies that contain vitamin E, zinc and vitamin C can help to keep your skin looking smooth and youthful, and will prevent dehydration. After summer’s over, make sure your diet still includes a variety of nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables.
Maintaining your summer tan through the Fall and winter seasons can be challenging, but there are several things you can do to prevent your tan from fading. Use these tips and ideas to maintain that summer glow for a few more weeks!