This is a fun and easy craft. It makes a great gift for kids or you can use it as a clutch. It uses those annoying plastic shopping bags as the base. It’s eco-friendly, no need to buy anything. Basic sewing skills are needed. As always, use irons and sewing machines properly to insure safety. The project is divided into 2 parts. Part1 is fusing the bags together to make “fabric”. The second part is sewing the fabric together to make a pouch. When choosing plastic bags, chose a pretty one for the front. I used a Disney Store bag.
7-9 plastic shopping bags
Sheets of parchment paper
12 inch zipper
1. Cover the ironing board with parchment paper. This will ruin your iron and ironing board if you don’t use the paper. Cut open the bags so they will lay flat. Layer the bags on top of the paper. Trim them to the same size.
2. Cover the plastic bags with parchment paper. Using a hot iron (cotton setting or higher), iron the paper. You will be able to see the plastic begin to melt. Iron the entire piece until it is all melted. It should not take more than 7 minutes. Use a room with good ventilation.
3. After the plastic fabric has cooled, cut out 2 pieces that measure 10 x6 inches.
4. With right sides together, using a ¼ inch foot or a zipper foot, sew the zipper to one of the pieces of plastic fabric. Then with right sides together sew the other side of the zipper to the last piece of plastic fabric. Now you will have both pieces of “fabric” attached at the center with a zipper.
5. Trim zipper and square up the fabric if needed.
6. Unzip the zipper halfway. This will allow you to turn the pouch later.
7. Fold the top unsewn edge over to the bottom unsewn edge. Pin edges together. This will put the zipper at the top and right sides together. If you have never sewn a pouch before, check out resources for a guide.
8. Sew all three edges together. Turn the pouch. Don’t forget to get the corners out.
9. Fill with pencils, crayons, or use as a clutch.