Are you ready to go back to school? September is right around the corner and your stomach is filled with butterflies. You are anticipating the first day of school and wonder whether you can make it through those doors. The one major thing that you worry about is whether or not you will be able to make friends in school. You wonder what clique you will fit in and whether or not you will be bullied. While making friends in school can be rather difficult it is not impossible. Below I have included some ideas on how to make friends in school.
1. Remember to smile. When you smile you let others know that you are friendly. People will be more willing to approach you if they see you as friendly.
2. Be social by saying hello to those that you pass by in the halls. You do not have to say hi to everyone that passes by you. If you notice that someone is glancing at you in the halls do not be afraid to say hi to that person. When you go the restroom and are by the sink with another girl smile or say hi. If you notice that she is wearing something similar to you or that she is wearing something that you like you can comment on it.
3. Be noticeable in class. Do not be afraid to answer questions in class even if you think that you might have the wrong answer. You should also ask questions in class even if you already know the answer. People in the class will take a look around at you when you speak and will get start recognizing you in the halls and lunchroom.
4. Observe your surroundings and take notice of people you would like to hang out with. Try making eye contact with those people in the halls, lunchroom or classroom. If they see you enough they might eventually approach you. You can also try to approach them and introduce yourself.
5. At lunch take a seat at a table where someone you like is sitting and ask if it’s okay if you sit there. Introduce yourself. Make a witty comment about the food or the school. You should try to avoid sitting at a table where there is a large group of people because there might be a group leader in that group who will intentionally pick on you. Try to first connect with one person and then make your way into that group through that person.
6. Take in active roll in school by joining or establishing school clubs or sports teams. Work on the school year book or as a mediator. You can work on school paper if there is one established at your school. If there is not a school paper in your school you can work on starting one.
7. Be nice to everyone. There are many cliques in high school and sometimes one clique hazes another. You should avoid being apart of any clique that purposefully teases and taunts other students. Make friends with everyone whether they are popular or not and you will become well known and liked.