The most popular excuse for people to not start exercising is “I don’t have time”, or ” I don’t know how I’m going to fit it into my schedule!” However, the people who are the most motivated to lose weight are the people who find time, or make time to exercise. Those people who can’t find time know that exercise is hard. However, exercise is necessary to maintain body function and health. In our society exercise has become everyone’s worst nightmare however, 30 minutes of exercise a day can keep your heart, brain and body healthy. What people don’t realize is that its easier than they think to fit in 30 minutes of exercise a day, they just have to think about it. Here are ten easy ways to fit in your exercise into your daily schedule.
- Workout on your lunch break. Use your lunchtime to go for a jog or quick walk, or play a game of racquetball. Not only will you get your exercise in, you will have more energy throughout the rest of your workday. You might even be able to cut out that extra cup of coffee or can of soda!
- Workout at work. Most people sit at a desk all day long without getting up, moving or leaving their space. Not only is this not good for the body, your bodies functioning is greatly diminished by inactivity. Plus this can lead to decreased energy and mental capacity and overall output. Stand up and stretch. There are easy, modified exercises that can be done at your desk but allow you to get the daily exercise you need.
- Walk, bike or skate to work. If you normally take the bus, get off a couple of stops early and walk the extra blocks. Take an extra set of clothes for longer distances.
- Park further away from the entrance of your building, workplace, or store. More often than not there are plenty of parking spots further away. This will save you time from circling the parking lot and burn calories when you buy items you need to carry out to your car.
- Hate waiting for the elevator. Take the stairs. Not only is faster and less crowded you will burn a ton of calories and increase your heart health.
- Although cleaning around the house is no fun, it’s a great way to exercise. Vacuuming, sweeping, raking or mowing the grass can all burn some calories and get in your daily exercise. Plus you have the added bonus of getting both cleaning and exercise done at the same time.
- Next time you’re going to catch up on the latest gossip with your girlfriends, avoid the coffee shop and invite your girlfriend(s) out for a brisk walk. This way you can walk and talk at the same time.
- Play with your kids. Remember the games you used to play when you were a child i.e. Tag, hide and seek, jump rope, shooting hoops. Play these games with your kids. Not only will you be spending time with your children, it will be invigorating to act like a kid again, all while exercising.
- Standing in line, don’t waste your time. This is valuable time that you could get your exercise in. March in place, pace back and forth, or stretch while waiting to get to the checkout counter.
- Watching a rerun of your favorite TV show? Not this time. Take a brisk walk instead. Why waste your time watching something you have already seen. Doing sometime of activity whether it be walking, jogging in place, step ups or sit-ups, will not only increase brain capacity and mental acuity but you will get your daily exercise in too.
Sarah Labdar, “How to Make Time to Exercise”, Everyday Health