One of the most common questions new moms ask themselves at one point or another is if they can manage being a stay at home mom. For some women they may have never had to worry about finances, but in most of society today both parents often find themselves having to work just to get their bills paid. Luckily for those moms who are interested in being stay at home moms there are some ways to make it financially possible. Here are some tips!
1. Look at your budget and decide where you can cut corners. One great way to manage staying at home is to take a look at a family budget and decide what you can and cannot live without. This may include cutting out cell phone bills and switching to pre-paid cell phones or no cell phones at all or trying to pay off some of the major credit cards to make it possible. It may seem difficult at first to make this possible but if the end result is beneficial for both the parent and the child it makes it all worth-while.
2. Start buying used! While this may not always be the best decision for some larger items for some things it can save families quite a bit of money. Moms should check out local thrift stores and see if they have special sales such as half-off days where they can stock up on items such as clothing and shoes. Many thrift stores carry nice used clothing and in some cases even new clothing and shoes that people donate that they do not want or need anymore. It’s also a great place to look for items such as furniture and baby items. Looking on online auction sites is another great alternative. Yard sales are also great places to stock up on gently used items to help with saving money.
3. Stay in more often! Cut out going out to eat and to movies and opt to stay in or go for cheaper alternatives instead! Movie theaters often charge at least $8 a ticket and by the time families pay for all their tickets and get snacks they can easily spend at least $50 for everyone just to see one movie! Look instead to see if your area has a local drive inn where tickets are much cheaper or look into getting an online rental company and wait till the movie is out on DVD before watching it.
4. Shop around for deals. This can include everything! From groceries to new cars taking the time to shop around may not sound appealing but it can save families hundreds if not thousands of dollars when all is said and done.
5. Lastly if staying at home and not working is just not possible moms should look into stay at home job opportunities. These jobs can include selling things on Ebay, babysitting, pet-sitting or even writing. Stat at home moms should be careful to investigate each company so they can avoid being scammed.
Sources Cited: My own personal experiences.