So you bought a PSP but now your tired of playing the same old games and want something else to do with it? Perhaps you just want an ebook reader without having to fork over so much cash on an Ipad? Well, if you have a PSP, you also have an ebook reader, you just have to modify the firmware.
In order to do this your PSP must have custom firmware. Here is a mini-guide on installing custom firmware.
If you own a PSP 1000, your best bet would be to purchase a pandora battery and a magic memory stick, that is, if your firmware is already 5.50 or later. If your PSP is at firmware 5.03 (you can upgrade to 5.03 if it is currently at a lower firmware) you can install ChickHEN R2 (ChickHEN is a custom firmware enabler but can serve as a temporary custom firmware allowing you to load any homebrew app, but it will be disabled if you turn your PSP off. You will have to load it again.), load it and then run the 5.50 Gen-D updater while you’re in ChickHEN mode. To know if you’re in ChickHEN mode, go to settings, system software and it will display your firmware version, 5.03, or ChickHEN r2 if you successfully loaded it. If you try to update to 5.50 Gen-D while on official firmware you will brick your PSP, meaning you will render it useless. Purchasing a pandora battery and magic memory stick makes this process a whole lot easier, and if you somehow manage to brick your console, you can still fix it using the pandora battery.
The ChickHEN method will not work on any firmware other than 5.03, if you attempt it, you will brick your PSP. On the bright side, the ChickHEN method works on any PSP model aside from the PSPGo. Unfortunately, if you have a PSP 3000 or a PSP 2000 with a TA-088v3 motherboard (the pandora battery will not work on these models either), loading ChickHEN will work but you will not be able to install custom firmware. Once again, if you attempt to do it, you will brick your PSP.
Note* This mini-guide is ‘mini’ for a reason. This article will focus primarily on reading ebooks on the PSP. For a more thorough explanation of custom firmware and what firmware you need, go to corresponding websites such as PSP-Hacks.com and PSPMod.com and ask for help in the forums.
What’s The Best PSP Ebook Reader?
Finally, now that you have modded your PSP, it’s time to install an ebook reading application. The best known and most optimized ebook reading homebrew for PSP is Bookr-Mod, which is a modified version of the original Bookr with enhanced capabilities. Bookr-Mod supports PDF, txt and DJVU files but may lag if a PDF or DJVU file contains very large images. You can load any .txt file without any problem.
What Can Bookr-Mod Do?
Bookr-Mod offers you more than a handful of options. You can increase or decrease image quality which can improve bookr’s performace if you’re loading an image heavy ebook. You can also change the angle at which a page is viewed to fit your taste, and to prove this is a dedicated ebook reader, there is even a nifty bookmark feature. Even more convenient is the fact that you’re allowed to open the last file you viewed from the main menu without having to search for it. Among other things, you can also zoom in if you find the text to small to read.
How To Install Bookr-Mod
Hopefully reading all that Bookr-mod has to offer you has got you amped, cause now you’re going to learn how to install Bookr. Thankfully, this part is the easiest and is hassle-free.
1) Download Bookr-Mod from here: Bookr-Mod Download
2) Once you have it, extract the contents of the folder.
3) Now connect your PSP to your computer using the USB cable and go into USB mode.
4) On your PC click Start, My Computer and then double click on your PSP USB drive. You are now in the root of the memory stick.
5) In the root of your memory stick, double click on PSP and then on your GAME folder. If you don’t have a GAME folder, don’t fret, just create one. Right click while in the PSP folder, go to New and then click on folder. Now name it GAME.
6) Now that you have your GAME folder, go back to the file you downloaded, open it and then right click and copy the bookr folder. Go back to the root of your memory stick, click on PSP >GAME and then paste bookr in GAME folder.
7) You may now place all the ebooks you want into the bookr folder. Note* If you’re a neat freak, you can create an ‘EBOOKS’ folder inside the bookr folder to keep it from getting too cluttered.
8) Now exit out of USB mode and in your PSP go to game under the controller icon and click on memory stick, which is right under Saved Data Utility. Now all you have to do is click on Bookr-Mod and you’re ready to start reading ebooks on your PSP.
Have a good time.