Fashion is expressed in various ways. Why not be a part of it? Below are a few tips to getting your clothing company started.
1. Write your business plan. Be sure to include your mission statement, your clothing company’s main objective, your target audience, and your market research and analysis. Prepare an itemized list for your startup funds including rent and utilities like rent for an office space and power, if needed. Decide if your clothing company will buy apparel through a manufacturer or will they be custom apparel.
2. Design your clothing company’s logo. The simpler your clothing company’s logo, the more consumers will remember your brand. Use colors that stand out like orange, red and green.
3. Go to your local city or county’s clerk office to apply for your clothing company’s business license, a contact number and your social security number. Visit the IRS website to apply for your Employer Identification Number. You’ll need your clothing company’s business name and your social security number to fill out the IRS-Form SS-2 to receive your EIN.
4. Design a sketched to sew samples for your clothing company like pants or a dress. Make an itemized list of what you would be interested in buying for your clothing company through clothing wholesalers. Visit clothing wholesalers to find and purchase clothing for your clothing company. Visit a financial institution that offers small business loans like a credit union if extra startup funds are needed.
5. Create a website for your clothing company. Advertise your inventory as well as your clothing company’s contact information like customer service email, the clothing company’s phone number and hours of operation. Create catalogs and brochure to give to local shops and boutique owners to review your clothing company’s description and services before accepting your clothing into their stores.