Today, more then ever, it seems that women are afraid of getting older. We do all that we can, and what is within our budget, to “defy,” “prevent,” and even “reverse” aging. Getting older is inevitable, and it is not something that you should fear. Where do you think all of those frown lines come from? They come from needless worrying, and I can tell you for a fact that worry never changed a thing, except for the landscape of your face.
I turned 51 in July, and I consider myself to be both healthy and beautiful, on the inside and on the outside, too. I do not look like I did in my 20s, but I do not mind that too much. I look good, I feel great and young, too. I think that my attitude has much to do with how I am aging both inside and out. The number “50” did not scare me. In fact, I feel as if it has given me a bit more freedom. With the right attitude, you can stay healthy and beautiful as you age, too. Here are a few tips that have helped me.
1. Mind Your Diet – As we age, women tend to gain a little weight, and I am no exception. However, I eat a very healthy diet, and I stay away from junk food. As a rule, I make all of my food from scratch, including my own bread, and I do not eat white flour, rice or sugar unless it is a special occasion. I eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. I rarely eat red meat, or any meat. I opt for fish when I can. I also take a good multivitamin to cover all of the bases. A good diet and maintaining a healthy weight go a long way in keeping your skin and body in top shape.
2. Drink Your Water – As we get older, our skin loses its ability to hold moisture as well as it once did. That means that our skin loses cushion and elasticity. Drinking water not only helps your skin look the very best that it can, but staying well hydrated also helps you handle stress better and keeps your mind sharp. Grace under pressure is an attribute of a beautiful woman, and drinking enough water can help you remain graceful, healthy and beautiful.
3. Exercise – I know — you have heard it all before, but the truth is that daily exercise keeps you healthy and beautiful, whether you are talking about a toned body or a healthy heart. The toned body looks great, but the healthy heart will keep you going both mentally and physically for a long, long time. You do not need an expensive gym membership. You just need to open the door and go outside and walk a few brisk miles a day. Make exercise a habit, and it will serve you well all the rest of your life.
4. Take Care of Your Skin – You have probably heard that your skin is your largest body organ. So it makes sense to take good care of it. When I was a kid, sunscreen was unheard of, and using baby oil as a tanning aid was the thing to do. If there is one thing that I really wish that I had known back then, it would be the importance of sunscreen. Age spots are not pretty. I am a freckle face, so it kind of matches, but my fair skin is plenty sun damaged. Stay away from tanning beds and learn to embrace pale. Develop an excellent skin care regimen and stick to it. You are never too young to moisturize and treat your skin gently and with love and care. The payoff will be tremendous.
5. Be Happy, Forgive, Help Other, Seek Balance- A person who is happy is easy to spot. She radiates confidence and warmth. Learn to roll with the punches that life throws, and do not be a complainer! Develop a deep sense of gratitude, and find something that feeds your spirit and soul. Give to others in big and little ways, but do not forget to give to yourself, too. Also, learn to forgive because having a bitter heart will show on your face, and in your overall outlook on life. Happy people draw other happy people to them. I know that once I hit age 50, I found that I had no more time for negative people. I do not miss them a bit.
In the final analysis, who we are inside, and how we look outside, are very closely linked. Unhealthy people look unhealthy, and unhappy people rarely look beautiful. Take care of yourself, mind, body, and spirit, and getting older will become an enjoyable part of the journey called life. You have so much ahead to look forward to, so treat yourself right so that you can keep enjoying every moment.