President Obama has put us in an extremely dangerous situation with North Korea. The North Koreans have been unusually clear about what they want–food and respect. But instead of keeping the peace as President Clinton did, Obama is continuing the Cheney-Bush strategy of confrontation.
The possible consequences of this strategy are terrifying:
1. A Conventional War with North Korea–This would require a military draft, since our troops are spread too thin as it is.
2. Nuclear Terrorism–North Korea has nuclear weapons and is friendly with Iran and Syria, who support terrorist groups.
3. Chinese Involvement–China has a huge military, nuclear weapons, and most of our foreign debt.
4. A War between Iran and Israel–Iran has pledged to wipe Israel off the face of the earth and Israel has vowed to stop them. And the more attention we pay to North Korea, the less we have for everything else.
5. A Nuclear War–The U.S., China, North Korea, and Israel have nuclear weapons and Iran is getting close. And if you read the history of World War I, you’ll see how easily unimagined catastrophes can happen.
Right now the North Korean government is particularly volatile. The old ruler is dying and wants to pass on his kingdom to his favorite son, who is young and inexperienced. Plus winter is coming and they don’t have enough food. The North Korean rulers are becoming more and more desperate, and desperate people make dangerous decisions.
We need to change President Obama’s strategy with vigorous pubic pressure. We need to write and call and email our Congressional representatives. And we need to write and call and email the President. (Go to www.whitehouse.gov and click on “Contact Us.”) And then we need to continue to write and call and email until we succeed.