The BlackBerry Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) has the ability to connect with many different networks and applications, allowing one to integrate Microsoft Outlook, personal e-mail, tasks, and multiple calendars. On the BlackBerry, one can create a calendar through several different methods. A calendar that is already part of a webmail account or is connected to an Outlook account can be part of the BlackBerry repertoire. Alternately, a calendar can be created on the BlackBerry itself and not be connected to any network. Regardless of how such calendars have been created, there may come a time where one wishes to sync multiple calendars into one calendar. Syncing has the advantage of simplifying scheduling, since one does not need to check multiple calendars in order to make an appointment or create an activity.
Multiple calendars can be synced by using wireless synchronization on the BlackBerry device. This involves first turning on the device’s wireless synchronization, and then syncing two (or more) calendars. The steps involved are as follows:
Turning on BlackBerry Wireless Synchronization
1. On the BlackBerry home screen, press the “Menu” key. Alternately, press the “Cancel” key to return to the main icon screen, where the “Menu” key can be selected.
2. Find the calendar icon and click on it. If there is more than one calendar, this icon will need to be clicked multiple times.
3. Click the “Menu” button, then scroll to and choose the “Options” icon.
4. Scroll to and choose the calendar that one wishes to sync. Calendars are labeled by e-mail accounts, such as Gmail.
5. Go to the “Wireless Synchronization” box and use the trackball to select “Yes.” Then, click on the “Menu” button and scroll through the provided list to the option “Save.” Click on that option.
Synchronizing Two Calendars
1. Once in the BlackBerry home screen, press the “Menu” key. As noted before, the “Cancel” key can return one to the main icon screen.
2. After scrolling to the “Calendar” icon, click on this application. Then, click on the “Menu” button. Use the cursor to select “Options.”
3. Using the BlackBerry keypad, type the word “MOVE” into the available field. After typing in the word “MOVE,” a message should appear on the screen, inquiring if all appointments should be synced into one calendar.
4. Click the “Yes” option in order to confirm the migration of all entries, as well as to initiate the synchronization process. Wait about four minutes, after which the BlackBerry should return to the main screen.
5. Cycle the power on the BlackBerry by taking off its back cover and removing the battery. Do this while the device is turned on. After waiting a few minutes, reinsert the battery. Press and hold down the “End” key until the BlackBerry turns back on. Power cycling the BlackBerry completes the calendar synchronization process.