Impotency or (erectile dysfunction) is explained as an inability to get or maintain an erection enough to satisfy you or your sexual partner. This can cause disruption in most couple’s lives. It’s an embarrassing situation and most men gets depressed not knowing that there is help. 90% of this condition goes untreated.
• Diseases – diabetes and kidney failure can cause damage to arteries.
• Injury to the penis – due to riding bicycle or kicked on the penis.
• Side of effect of medication – e.g. depression medication
• Complications of surgery such as prostate cancer as it interfere with the flow of blood.
• Substance abuse – alcohol abuse, drugs can diminish the sex drive.
• Hormonal disorder – low testosterone.
Not able to hold an erection to the end of a sexual activity, alone or with a partner.
Treatment depends on whether it is physical or emotional and how far gone the dysfunction.
• Oral treatment e.g. Cialis, Levitra and Viagra they work by increasing the flow of blood to the penis. These drugs should be discussed with the doctor if your have suffered a heart attack or high blood pressure.
• Penis pump (Vacuum constriction devices) it helps to get and maintain an erection.
• Psychosexual therapy – this is where the qualified specialist addresses the sexual dysfunction and emotional distress within the relationship.
• Intra-cavernosal injection therapy (ICI) – papaverine, alprostadil and phentolamine – can be used for males who can not use the oral treatment.
• Vascular surgery – The device vacuum or draws the blood into the penis causing it to expand – this is the last resort and it’s rarely done as it can cause nerve damages.
• Penile implant (Prosthesis) – can be done as an option when drugs can’t help.
• Talking about your feelings – communication between partners can help ease the anxiety and depression caused by fear and self esteem.
• Discus treatment plan with your partner, explore different sexual activities.
• Seek professional counseling for both of you.
Side effects of the drugs include:
• Back pain,
• Muscle aches,
• Flushing, and
• Runny nose
• Difficulty breathing;
• Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, and throat.
• Dizzy or nauseated during sexual activity,
• Pain, numbness, or chest tingling
• Numbness of arms, neck, or jaw,
• Hearing loss
• Vision loss
• Priapism (painful, erection that lasts longer than usual) – this can cause permanent impotency if not treated in time.
Side effects of penile pump
• Red dots caused by bleeding under the skin of the penis if on blood thinning drugs, this can lead to haemorrhaging if a vein erupts.
• Numbness of skin when the band is in place
• Firmness can be minimal at the base of the penis.
• Bruising and severe Pain of the penis
• Delayed ejaculation during sexual activity due to constriction of the blood flow.
Side effects Intracavernosal injection therapy
• Penile fibrosis (PF) – is documented as a high complication of intracavernosal injection therapy (ICI).
• feeling light-headed, fainting;
• bleeding from urethra;
• bleeding, bruising,
• painful erection
Side effects Penile implant (Prosthesis
• Malfunction of the device can lead to removal and re-operation.
• Infection – patients with diabetes and kidney failure are very prone to infection.
• Skin bruising – around the implant site, which can lead to infection and removal of implant.
• Formation of scar tissue around the penile area.
Psychological effect of the Impotency
• Anxiety – fear of sexual failure and loosing their partners can be experienced once a man realised he has erectile dysfunction.
• Guilt – he will always suspect himself of not satisfying his partner and blame himself.
• Depression – drugs used for depression they play a big part on causing impotency and depression itself takes tall on a man’s physical and psychological ability to perform.
• Low self-esteem – knowing you can get it or keep it up just diminishes any men’s moral. This can even lead to abstinence.
Future treatment for Impotence
Currently there are only three oral treatments to treat impotence. A number of pharmaceutical companies are researching more treatment that is efficient and has fewer side effects.