How can natural methods be used to keep moles out of the garden? Eliminate their food source. Take away their comfort zone. Make friends with their enemies. Escort them off the property. Fill their holes with castor oil. These burrowing creatures are uprooting the garden. Don’t be unnecessarily cruel. Send them packing with these natural methods for keeping moles out of the garden.
1. Use castor oil. Moles hate this natural method but it won’t harm them or the environment. Mix together a few ounces of castor oil, a teaspoon of dish soap and a quart of water. Pour the mix straight down mole holes to drive them out. You can also spray this mixture on the lawn and around the perimeter of the garden to keep moles out.
2. Mulch after the first frost. When frost covers the ground, the first thing moles look for is a warm hiding spot to nest. Don’t give them one in your garden. Wait until after the first frost to mulch your garden for the coming spring. Mulching the garden too early gives moles a wintering zone that’s a bit too close to next years produce.
3. Trap and release them. One kind natural method for keeping moles out of the garden is to trap and release them. Deposit them in a new environment, where they can do no harm. Dig a pit near where the mole burrows and deposit a jar he will drop into. Remove the jar and carry him away where he will be happy and do no harm.
4. Make friends with garter snakes. While not a painless natural method of eliminating moles from the garden, this is certainly an effective one. Snakes are quite fond of moles for breakfast lunch and dinner. You don’t want venomous snakes in your garden. If you’re not squeamish, though, garter snakes will both discourage and eat moles.
5. Eliminate their food source. Moles like garden because gardens are attractive to grubs. Get rid of the food source and get rid of the moles. Chasing moles out of the garden may be as simple as getting rid of the grubs. Milky spore is a time tested solution for getting rid of grubs. Sprinkle it on the soil once and it does it’s job for a virtual lifetime.