Paraffin wax is an ideal substance for treating minor arthritis pain and swelling. It retains heat to soothe aching hands and feet. Paraffin can also be used to heal extremely chapped hands and feet. It makes an excellent treatment for cracked heels. You can get salon treatments involving paraffin wax. You can also do it yourself at home. The process is quite simple.
You will need several items assembled before you begin your paraffin wax treatment. Be sure to read the instructions all the way through before you start as well.
What you will need:
A large microwaveable container to melt wax.
Be sure this is a container you will not be needing again for another purpose.
A candy thermometer.
Once again, reserve this thermometer for paraffin wax only.
These must be large enough to cover hands and feet.
Towels to hold heat in.
Used over baggies.
Several drops of Eucalyptus oil.
This helps with both arthritis pain and chapped or cracked skin.
This is for additional moisture. Do not use conventional lotions, which often contain drying ingredients.
Socks and Cloth Gloves.
To wear after treatment.
How to Use Paraffin Wax for Arthritis, chapped hands and cracked heels:
1. Place paraffin and eucalyptus oil in microwaveable container.
2. Microwave on high until melted. (Watch carefully. Paraffin is a flammable substance.)
3. Remove from microwave when all wax has melted.
4. Test wax with candy thermometer.
5. Use when cooled to body temperature. (98 degrees)
6. Cover hand or foot with cocoa butter.
7. Dip hand or foot in paraffin wax, coating thoroughly.
8. Raise hand or foot up from the paraffin to dry. (You can use several coats.)
9. Wrap in a baggie.
10. Repeat with all hands and feet.
11. Wrap towels around your baggie covered hands and feet to hold heat in.
12. Leave baggies and towels on for about 20 minutes.
13. Remove towels and baggies.
14. Slide paraffin from hands and feet and dispose.
15. Coat hands and feet with cocoa butter.
16. Slip on socks and gloves. Wear for one hour.
The paraffin treatment works for arthritis and chapped hands and feet very well, because the wax generates heat and seals in the cocoa butter to promote healing. The eucalyptus oil is very effective on both arthritis pain and swelling. It also helps soothe damaged skin. This treatment is a lifesaver on days when arthritis flares up. It’s also very useful for chapped winter skin.