Breaking up can be very hard. If you still love your ex, there’s a chance that you might want to try to win him or her back. In most cases, this is absolutely possible – as long as you’re aware of what to do and not do. Here are some things to consider when trying to win your ex back after a breakup.
1. Determine why you want to win your ex back. Is the relationship worth trying to salvage? Was cheating involved? Did your ex really love you? Are you in denial about how bad things were? It can be hard to accept the end of a relationship, but sometimes it can be best to go your separate ways. Before trying to win your ex back, make sure it’s the right thing.
2. Leave your ex alone. Avoid calling your ex, even if you’re drunk. Don’t text, instant message or email your ex. It might be difficult to fight the urge to contact your ex, but doing so will make you look needy and clingy. Begging and pleading for your ex to come back will make you look pathetic and will actually make it less likely to happen. Note that if you have already done this, it is important to stop right away.
3. Regain your self-confidence. Consider a new hairstyle or makeover shopping trip. Keep in mind that you are not trying to change yourself so that your ex will love you again. You’re doing this for you, so it is important to stay true to yourself. The ultimate goal is to remind yourself of your self-worth.
4. Don’t try to make your ex jealous. The key is to make your ex wonder what you are doing instead of letting them know when you are out on dates with other people (or, in some cases, pretending to be on dates with other people). Jealousy could make your ex want you back, but it could also be the wakeup call to move on for good.
5. Ignore your ex as much as possible. Remember that you are not to contact your ex at all. He or she will not be able to wonder about you if communication continues. When your ex contacts you, it is ideal to keep things short and sweet. Always be polite, but also don’t act like you’re sitting around waiting for them to contact you.
Over time, your ex will probably realize what they lost. If your relationship is worth salvaging, they will realize it. Keep in mind that it is important to never lower your standards, however. If your ex made a mistake, it is important for him or her to make it up to you – rather than walking all over you. While there is a chance that you may be able to win your ex back by following these tips, there’s a chance that things might not work out the way you’re hoping. If things don’t work out, it is important to keep in mind that there are plenty of other fish in the tank who may be able to make you much happier than your ex ever did.