An interesting list of random Halloween facts.
1. The ancient Celts wore masks and costumes to ward off spirits that they believed roamed the countryside on Halloween.
2. Halloween candy sales average about 2 billion dollars annually in the United States.
3. The colors orange and black are associated with Halloween because orange represents the fall harvest and black is related to darkness or death.
4. 86% of Americans decorate their home for Halloween each year.
5. . Bobbing for apples was thought to have originated from the roman festival to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple.
6. 99% of pumpkins that are sold are used for jack-o-lanterns during Halloween.
7. Halloween is the 2nd most successful commercial holiday, only beaten out by Christmas.
8. Pumpkins are not always orange. Pumpkins can be also be blue, white and green.
9. Vampire bats really do exist, but not in Transylvania. They reside in Central and South America and feed off the blood of horses, birds and cattle.
10. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with the word orange.
11. The Magician Harry Houdini died on Sunday October 31, 1926.