Recent studies are showing that many people are beginning to feel that marriage is becoming an obsolete institution. How do you feel on the subject?
The Pew Research Institute did a survey on marriage and 39% of those surveyed stated that they believed that the institution of marriage was obsolete.
The current results of the National Census study showed that only 54% of Americans were married. This number was down by 72% than it was 50 years ago.
Why has marriage become obsolete? Is it just because the times have changed?
People do say that they believe in commitment. Couples are embarking in committed relationships each day. Studies show that 44% of Adults are living in a committed relationship and are living in what is considered a cohabitate type of relationship everyday. Some of these adults are even raising children together. They just aren’t getting married.
Why aren’t they getting married?
• Some say they do not believe in marriage
• Some say that most marriages end in divorce anyway, so why bother
• Some don’t want the hassle of walking down the aisle
• Some are doing it for financial reasons
• Some just haven’t gotten around to get married and figure they are happy they way they are, so why upset a good thing
What types of couples are still getting married?
• Those that live in the Midwest are more likely to get married
• Those that live in church going communities
• Those with strong Republican political views
• Those who have graduated from college
What is the median age for first marriages?
The median age for a man is 28. The median age for a woman is 26.
Many couples, who do plan on getting married, are choosing to wait until they are older, wait until they graduate from college, and wait until they are more financially secure.
Will the marriage of Prince William and his long time girlfriend cause more people to consider marriage?
Yes, the marriage of Prince William and his long time girlfriend may make more couples consider marriage. Many do like to imitate the stars and the royals are stars in the own right. Yet, it should be remembered that Prince William and Kate did live together for many years before they decided to marry.