If you are the parent of a young child, you probably have enough things that make you want to pull your hair out. Like those orange-finger cheese doodle stains that won’t come out of your nice white sweater. Or that lollipop stuck in the dvd player. You don’t need the additional nuisance of having to watch (or hear in the background, as you cook or clean) super annoying kids’ TV shows–you know, the kind that make you want to puke. Or fall asleep. To avoid offending anyone who might actually like these shows, I won’t name them. Rather, I present you with a list of kids’ television shows that are actually entertaining (or at least bearable) for adults, as well.
1. Phineas and Ferb Fresh, humorous and creative. The musical numbers are pretty funny, too.
2. Yo Gabba Gabba At first, this show freaked me out. But its weirdness grew on me. And those songs are so darn catchy.
3. Jack’s Big Music Show Unfortunately, there are no new episodes of this show, only reruns. However, you can never go wrong listening to the Laurie Berkner songs, with which the show is infused.
4. Thomas and Friends Thomas the Tank Engine is quite charming. The newer, digital episodes have a slightly less authentic feel, but they are still better than most other children’s programs. For a really genuine experience, search for Thomas the Tank online. You will find early episodes not shown on U.S. television. You can decide which of its famous narrators you like best.
5. The Backyardigans Every episode of this show features a different musical genre. The lyrics are brilliant; the colors are brilliant; and the characters’ imaginations are brilliant, as they pretend to have exciting adventures in their backyard.
So, if you allow your children to watch a little bit of TV while you are trying to prepare dinner, consider these programs. They won’t cause you to conk out (or barf) in your macaroni and cheese.