Birds are great family pets. Many kids think that birds takes care of themselves. However,birds require a lot of care and attention. As a kid and a bird owner, you need to know a how to keep your pet happy and healthy.
Once your parents have bought your bird, your chores have just began. Here are five tips to help you take care of your pet.
1) There are many kinds of bird seed. You should buy only canary seed. It has the nutrients your bird needs. But, it is alright to give your bird other treats such as lettuce, apples, and the hard boiled yolk of an egg.
2) Your canary needs fresh water daily. The bird’s water bowl should be filled a couple of times a day. It should only drink water. Other drinks are not healthy for your canary.
3) Your bird needs to sharpen his beak. Your parents can buy your bird a cuttlebone to let it practice sharpening his beak. In the wild,it would do this on tree trunks. In his cage, he can sharpen his beak on his cuttlebone.
4) The bottom of your canary’s cage should be cleaned daily. Some people put liners in the bottom. Other people use newspapers to keep the cage clean. Whatever you use, clean it daily and put a fresh paper in the cage. Your bird will get sick if you do not clean the cage. You will also need to clean the floor around the cage. Remember to clean the dishes, toys, and cage from time to time. .
5) Birds need to play and climb. Many people put a mirror in the cage, but this might scare him. A better toy would be a braided rope with a bell or feathers on it. Birds also need a bar or something to climb on.
Caring for a birds takes a lot of work. It shows that you are growing up and can handle responsibility. By being a responsible pet owner you show your parents you can be dependable. Also, your pet will be happier and healthier if you take care of him properly.