A recipe for vegan pasta with leeks, tomatoes and leafy greens, though it goes will with shrimp if you wish to add meat.
This is a simple recipe that will take approximate 30-40 minutes.
– 16 oz (dry) pasta, prepared. I prefer fettuccine.
– 3 leeks, white and light green, sliced into rings. Make sure to rinse carefully.
– 1 pint of grape tomatoes
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
– 4 cups of leafy greens of your choice. I like arugula and spinach.
– 1/2 cup of white wine
– 1/4-1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil, depending on if you are watching calories.
– Salt and pepper
– 13×9 roasting pan or baking dish
– Saute pan large enough to hold all of the pasta and vegetables
– Large sauce pan for preparing pasta
– Measuring cups
– Knife, mincer
– Potato masher
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the grape tomatoes in a roasting pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Shake to coat.
3. When the oven is hot, put the pan in the oven and roast the tomatoes until the just being to burst, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Continue onto the next steps while preheating and roasting.
4. Saute the leeks in a bit of olive oil until they begin to turn clear. It is very important that you do not burn the leeks or they will taste entirely different!
5. Add the garlic and continue to saute until the leeks are thoroughly clear and the garlic is aromatic. Add more olive oil if necessary. You don’t want them to stick.
6. Add the wine while the pan is still hot and let it boil off for 1-2 minutes, until most of the alcohol smell is gone.
7. Smash the tomatoes with a potato masher and add to the leek mixture.
8. Add olive oil, pasta and greens while still over heat. Stir until greens are wilted.
9. Salt and pepper to taste. Add pre-cooked shrimp if you desire.