So you’ve got two prospective housemates, but you’re not sure how they’ll get along. After all, it can be hard for those of different personalities to get along in a living situation. Especially when they’re different species too. But despite all that you’ve heard and read, it is possible for some dogs and cats to get along in the same house. And there are a few things you can do to maintain harmony in the animal kingdom that is your house:
* The best scenario is to have a puppy and kitten that you can raise together. This way they learn early on to tolerate each other and live together. Older animals are many times set in their ways and intolerant of any new animal in the house- even one of their own kind.
* When first introducing a dog and cat to each other, make sure the cat is at the dog’s eye level. And keep a firm grip on both animals to help them feel comfortable and secure.
* If one or both animals is nervous or aggressive when meeting, remove the cat immediately and try again later.
* If things are going well in the introduction, allow both animals to sniff and inspect each other as much as needed. This will help them develop a comfort level with each other.
* Even if things are going well in the first minutes or days, never leave a dog and cat alone together until you’re sure they are comfortable with each other.
And remember, if things aren’t going well no matter how hard you try, it may be that your dog and/or cat just isn’t cut out for living with the newest addition. After all, how can we expect them to get along when even we have certain people we can’t live with.