Many Satellite TV Customers are Unhappy. In fact, many customers have actually reported the major satellite TV Companies into the Better Business Bureau. What are their complaints?
The major ones are:
• Early termination fees
• Equipment fees
• Not getting the advertised deals
The main problem seems to be a misunderstanding between the customers and the Satellite Companies in general. This can be due to the fact that the dealers or the installers are not giving the correct information in the first place or that the customers do not understand this information.
Basically here is what happens when you sign up for DirecTV and Dish Network.
• First off, once you sign their contract it is valid for two years. If you decide to switch to cable or another satellite company you will be charged an early termination fee. This fee can be up to $200 or more depending on how much time is left on your contract.
• You will usually get an advertised deal that will run for an X amount of time. For instance, you may get certain channels such as Showtime, and HBO free for three months. You may also qualify for a reduce rate for so many months. This can be three months, six months or even a year. If you qualify for this reduced rate be sure to know and understand how much the normal rate is. This is what you will pay after these months have past. You may also qualify for free equipment and free installation. Be sure that you understand all of these offers. If you have an advertisement of these offers keep it.
• You have the option of applying for insurance. This will help cover any equipment costs if anything goes bad, labor fees and part fees. Ask about this when you first sign up for the satellite service.
• If you do opt in for insurance, you will have to pay for any maintenance costs; this includes any new equipment you may need. Purchasing new equipment may extend your current policy, ask before you purchase.
• If you decide to add more equipment such as a new DVR after your initial sign up, you may have to pay full price for this. Ask how much this will cost before placing the order and ask if this will cause your new contract to be renewed thus adding on a new two year agreement.
Basically, the main reason that satellite customers are becoming unhappy with their service is miscommunication and not understanding what they are agreeing with when upgrading and initially agreeing to installation. For this reason, ask questions and if you don’t understand anything make the installer or seller repeat the information. Also keep a copy of your agreement.
Satellite television can be a wonderful thing. For some people, who live in rural areas this is their only means of getting television today since many live in wooded and hilly areas that blocks local DTV signals. Yes, cable does not run in all locations. However, this is like any other thing you purchase, you must understand what you are agreeing to before you sign on that dotted line.