My mother never really had to cook. My father did the majority of the cooking as long as I can remember. Mom, however, did have one recipe that she made occasionally. It didn’t have a name, or if it did I don’t remember what it was. I make it once in a while and always think of my mom when I do. I have named it Mom’s Fast and Easy One Pan Dinner. Try it and I’m sure you will like it.
Mom’s Fast and Easy One Pan Dinner
Ingredients to serve 4:
* 4 cubed steaks (cubed steaks are steaks that were run through a machine to tenderize them, which gives them a waffle like appearance)
* 4 medium potatoes
* 1 large onion
* 4 carrots
* 4 slices of bacon
* Large, deep frying pan with lid
* peal and slice potatoes into ¼ inch slices
* clean carrots and slice into ¼ inch slices
* thinly slice the onion
Get the food into the pan:
* turn the burner on to medium high to get it going
* place the steak on the bottom of the pan in a single layer
* next add the potatoes – spread them out over the steak
* next the sliced onion – spread them out over the potatoes
* add the carrots – spread them out over the onion
* lay the bacon across the top of the carrots
* cover the pan
* after 5 minutes lower the heat to medium-low
* cook another 15-20 minutes and check the potatoes and carrots for doneness
* cook a little longer if the veggies are not thoroughly cooked
If you don’t like onion, leave it out. Add fresh green beans to add more color to the dish. Use other cuts of beef, or chicken breasts instead of cubed steak. Remember, chicken would need a longer cooking time.
Serve a tossed salad along with Mom’s Fast and Easy One Pan Dinner and you will have a delicious, inexpensive and fast meal. The perfect ending to this meal would be Jell-O, because there’s always room for Jell-O!
My mother was lucky that she married a man who knew how to cook and enjoyed cooking. Anyone can make Mom’s Fast and Easy One Pan Dinner and it will come out perfect!
Abby Greenhill’s Mom