There are only a few things that have to happen each year around Christmas for me. These things that I do with my kids, my parents did also. They are a must have for me to enjoy the holidays. My ex does them too and loves them still even now. We always make sure they happen no matter what, because the kids know now too and look forward to them.
- Have to watch every holiday movie there is and preferably on TV, not DVD or Netflix . Though this one is harder, there are tons of channels that play all the different holiday movies. These include Miracle on 34th Street, the old one only, A Christmas Story, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, the clay animation the one from way back , It’s A Wonderful Life, in black and white if possible, and Scrooge , every possible older version (even the kinda creepy ones). Now the kids have also added all three Santa Clause movies and Scrooged with Billy Murry too, which I love all four of these too.
- I have to have out the little wooden house that burns incense inside in the house during the entire season, as well as the star chime that spins from the heat of the three candles at the bottom. These my mom and grandma always had out and I love them.
- The Elf comes out the day after Thanksgiving. It is Santa’s Elf and he watches the kids and reports back to Santa during the season. The Elf moves around to different high up locations in the house to keep an eye on the kids no matter where they are at or what they are doing. He is a very old Elf that moved from my parent’s house to my house when I had my first daughter. He’s been watching children now for 35 years in my family and originally watched my mom and her sister too.
- The entire outside and inside of the house must be decorated from top to bottom. The tree up with bubble lights on it, garland, beads, an Angel on top and decorations that have been given to me and the ones that the kids made too. This includes cloths pin reindeer, decorated candy canes, pine cones and anything else they have made. The entire house has to be decorated outside so that the entire outside is lite up with lights.
- There are Christmas pajamas for all the kids. They get to open these on Christmas Eve and they are their special Christmas Day pajamas to wear. My ex and I always got them for each other too and still do. We all have to wear them on Christmas Eve the entire evening and while opening gifts the next day.