As the Halloween approaches and it is acceptable for all of us to dress as our favorite monsters I began to think about my favorite vampires, whether it’s television, movies or literary vampires I love vampires of all sorts. So, I decided to spend this Halloween weekend vegging out and watching my favorite vampires. I made a list and these are the shows that feature my favorite vampires on the small screen. These are in order of release.
- Dark Shadows- Barnabas Collins – ABC- 1966-1971- This was the first gothic supernatural soap opera on television. Barnabus was an ancestor of the family living in Collinsport. It still has a huge following even to this day. It is the show that began the vampire craze.
- Cliffhangers- NBC- 1979- This is the first television show that I watched when I was only 7 years old. It began my love for vampires. Cliffhangers told 3 stories and it would change each week. One was a western, one was science fiction and one was a vampire story. The vampire story tells of Count Dracula who is living under cover as a college professor. kind of ironic that these were my two dreams.. I wonder how much we view as a child reflects on your future. It was canceled during the first season.
- Dracula the Series Canadian Syndication – 1990. Modern day Dracula story of his struggle for love and against Van Helsing. It was a 30 minute show that only lasted a few episodes.
- Forever Knight – Nick Knight –CBS- 1992- 1996. This is another Canadian show about a vampire turned detective. He is in modern day vampire who works the third shift and is looking for a way to be human again. There are many flashbacks to Nick’s 800 years of history and the connections that they have today. It was based off of a movie.
- Kindred the Embraced – FOX- 1996. Loosely based on the White Wolf Role Playing Game- Vampire the Masquerade, Julian Luna and his politically motivated vampires were very hot. This show would have probably been a huge success if it wasn’t for the fact that the main actor who played Julian was killed in a motorcycle accident. It is a rare find but one that every vampire fan should see.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer – CW/WB- 1997-2003. Whether it was Angel, Harmony, Drusilla, or Darla..the vampires in Buffy were hot and bad. But my favorite is Spike the Billy Idol look alike vampire that reeked havoc in Buffy’s world. Whether he was a bad vampire, a vampire with a chip, or Buffy’s sordid and then jilted lover there is nothing boring about Spike or William the Bloody. He is a vampire and loves being one whether it is bad or good. and I have to say Willow was pretty cool as a vampire too.
- Angel- Angel – WB- 1999-2004. Angel began as a broody vampire on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and when he got his own show he became a detective to protect the innocents. He helped with supernatural cases while saving the world from the Apocolypse while always being a gentleman.
- Vampire High – Canada- 2001-2002. A Canadian show that told the story of a high school of vampires and mortals that are ran by ‘Elders’ that do experiments on the vampires to see if they can be civilized. Whether vampire or human these teens face the same problems as all teens- love, acceptance, and bad grades.
- Blade – Blade- Spike TV – 2006 – A not too great television show based on the movie that was based on the comic of a dhampir or half vampire named Blade who killed vampires for revenge.
- Blood Ties – Henry Fitzroy – Lifetime – 2006. This Canadian show was based the vampire series by Tanya Huff. Henry is a vampire descended from royalty- Henry VIII royalty. He was turned by a courtisane and has been a vampire ever since. He meets Vicki, a retired cop turned detective and they solve many supernatural cases.
- Young Dracula – BBC- 2006-2008. A story of a modern family who runs from a mob in Transylvania to England and their names are Dracula. It was a children’s show much like a modern day Munsters.
- Moonlight-Mick St. John-CBS- 2007-2008. Mick is a detective who lives in modern LA and is also a detective. Several years earlier he had saved this child from a crazy vampire, who happened to be his wife. Today, he is in love with this this girl who is now a journalist. The series was originally entitled Twilight, before the Twilight craze but of course the name was changed. The writer of the show is also one of the writer’s of the next show.
- Being Human – BBC- 2008- present. This show is a story of a vampire, werewolf and ghost that lives together in Bristol. The third season or series that it is referred to in England will be set in Cardiff. It is a quirky and unique show that is one of the best today.
- True Blood – HBO – 2008-present. HBO’s hit show based on Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse series. It tells the story of a telepathic barmaid named Sookie as she is exposed to the supernatural world. This is one of the most violent and sexual vampire shows ever.
- Vampire Diaries -CW- 2009-present. This story of Elana and her love/hate for the Salvatore brothers is also based upon a book by L.J. Smith. It is a huge hit among vampire fans especially the teen and college age audience.
- The Gates– ABC- Summer 2010. This hit that once again was overlooked by the television stations aired the summer of 2010 and ended in a cliffhanger. It tells the story of Sheriff Monohan and his family as they moved into the Gates, a gated neighborhood where there are many secrets including a family of vampires, werewolves, witches and more. There are rumors that SyFy is looking into acquiring this wonderful show.
This is my list. I think that I have mentioned all that I have watched within my lifetime. But, there are a few shows that were questionable in vampire nature and desreve to be honorably mentioned.
Here they are: The Munsters, The Addams Family, Ultraviolet (British Show). And I loved the vampire episodes of both Charmed and Supernatural.
So which shows are your favorite? Is this an all inclusive list? Please lsit below any vampire televisions shows that you can recall.
For more information and links to the above please visit Search for the Lure here.