Whether you’re a family on a budget or just want a way to bond with your kids, making your own costumes is the way to do both. It’s a win-win scenario where your family saves money and you get to spend valuable time with your little ones.
Like sugar and spice, we want our girls to look nice. How nice would your little girl look dressed up as a bumblebee. Follow the instructions below and refer to the diagrams to make your daughter the busiest bee in the bunch!
black sweat pants
yellow hooded sweatshirt or jacket
1-2 squares of black felt
2 black pipe cleaners
2 small yellow pompoms (for “feelers”)
1) The pants can be left alone. No changes are required to blend your pants into the costume and you can continue using them for your little darling once Halloween is through.
2) Using glue, attach a pompom to each pipe cleaner. Set aside to allow the glue to dry completely.
3) Using scissors cut the felt into wide strips. Check to see how long the strips have to be by measuring them along the width of the jacket.
4) Lay jacket down flat with the front facing down. Play with the strips till you have decided on the spacing. Secure each strip with safety pins. Place the safety pins on the inside of the jacket to keep them hidden. (If you have use two strips to make the stripe fit the jacket, secure them together with safety pins first.)
5) Now it’s time to attach the “feelers”. Attach a feeler to each side of the hood by wrapping one end around a safety pin and pinning it to the hood.
6) For Halloween just use a shirt or sweater underneath the jacket to keep your busy bee warm. Once Halloween is over, remove the felt pieces and the “feelers”!