Each year as Halloween grows near kids get hyped up about the costumes and the candy but for the family on a budget, costumes can be a drain on the checkbook. Instead of buying the costume, make the costume. It’s great for bonding time with your precious one and alleviates the normal financial drain.
We always want our little ones to look their cutest and little boys make a simple bat costume absolutely adorable. Follow the instructions below and refer to the diagrams to make your son the scariest bat in the cave!
black sweat pants
black hooded sweatshirt or jacket
4-5 squares purple felt (more may be required for older kids)
black sharpie or marker
1) The pants require no changes. This is perfect because then you can use them after Halloween is over.
2) Lay the jacket out flat with the arms stretched out. Place the purple felt along the inseams. Use enough felt to run the seams, armpit to waist and armpit to wrist. Using the safety pins, secure the felt to the jacket along the inside using the safety pins.
3) Use a black sharpie or marker to trace the curves of the wing. Once finished, use scissors to cut along the black line. Set remaining felt aside.
4) Repeat on other arm.
5) Using the remaining felt and black marker, trace “ears” to pin on the hood. Cut ears out and secure to the hood. Make sure to have your little boy try this on and test his “wings”.
6) On Halloween night, you can layer the jacket with a shirt or sweater underneath to help keep your special guy warm. Once Halloween is over, simply remove the felt pieces and continue to use pants and jacket!