There are items you must bring to college with you that are absolutely necessary. The general list could include:
1. Laptop computer: This handy little instrument goes to class with you for taking notes, and its internet connection allows you to do instant research for those essays you’ll need to write. Don’t expect to be able to use it to get answers during quick tests and exams. That’s what your brain is supposed to do. It can also come in handy on nights when you can’t sleep, to watch late, late movies and listen to the latest music on youtube and other sites.
2. Cell phone/camera/iPod: Check on all the latest gadgets to determine which one or combination you believe will be most helpful at college. You’ll need it to tweet and otherwise keep in touch with friends and family back home.
3. Names, street and Email addresses of all family and friends at college and back home. Make it a file on your computer and/or written in your little black book.
4. Cold weather clothing: Unless your college is in the Sun Belt, it’s autumn now and winter isn’t far behind. Be sure to pack all clothing, boots and other stuff you’ll need in anticipation of snow, ice, rain and sleet. If there’s a ski area or ice skating rink near the campus, pack the necessary duds and sports equipment for those activities.
4. Bring enough changes of everyday clothing: socks, underwear, jeans, shirts and others that need frequent washing. It’s cheaper and more convenient if you can use the washer/dryer once a week, instead of every other day.
5. Credit/debit cards, on-campus bank account and other financial needs: There will be all kinds of bills to pay, impulse items to buy, dinners at the local cafe and other needs for quick payments. You’ll need some cash, but it can be much more convenient to just charge whatever you’re buying.
6. Toiletries, prescription drugs and first aid kit: Be sure to bring the everyday grooming items you’ll need, along with patch-up meds for that skinned elbow or bleeding knee.
7. What you’d want most to bring to college, but are required to leave behind: loving pets, parents and favorite former hometown high school girl- or boyfriend.