After you’ve graduated from college and began your life it is hard to find time to go back to school. You may be busy with a job, a family, and other responsibilities. The advent of online degree programs makes it possible for professionals to continue their education without putting their career on hold. If you are in the media profession here are some educational institutions that offer grad programs in public relations, broadcast journalism, and more.
1. The George Washington University – This historic university located in Washington, D.C. offers an online Master of Professional Studies in the field of Strategic Public Relations. This program consists of 33 credit hours. It is broken down into 11 classes. The focus of the program is to prepare the student for professional advancement in the public relations field. It includes studies in Media Communications and Theory, Media Relations, New Media Strategies, and more. Rates are currently $1170 per credit hour. More information can be found at http://www.gwu.edu.
4. The University of Memphis – The University of Memphis offers a Master of Arts in Journalism through their Department of Journalism. This is one of the oldest online degree programs in journalism. They have three different format options that makes the program vary from 30 to 36 credit hours. You can choose to do 30 credit hours and a thesis, 33 credit hours and a professional project, or 36 credit hours. This degree program includes all areas of journalism in the course schedule. It is designed to give the student a well-rounded knowledge of every aspect of journalism. The current rates are $548 per credit hour. You can find more information at https://umdrive.memphis.edu/g-journalism/intro.html.
2. University of Missouri – The University of Missouri’s Missouri School of Journalism offers an online Master of Arts in Journalism. You can choose to focus in Media Management or Strategic Communication. This program is designed for the working professional who already has three or more years of work experience. This program requires students to complete 37 credit hours. Students are under an eight year deadline to complete this program. Courses include Media Law, Mass Media Seminar, Quantitative Research Methods, and more. Rates are currently $500 per credit hour. More information can be found at http://journalism.missouri.edu/graduate/online/.
3. Clarion University of Pennsylvania – This small liberal arts college in Pennsylvania offers a Master of Science in Mass Media Arts and Journalism through online classes. It is designed to enhance your skills and increase your marketability in the work force. The program consists of 36 credit hours. It is possible to complete the program in as little as 18 months. The program requires students to choose a portfolio, thesis, or internship option. It encompasses all area of media including public relations, journalism, and video production. The first credit hour is currently $546 and subsequent credit hours get progressively cheaper. More information can be found at http://www.clarion.edu/26351/.
5. University of Maryland University College – This institution offers an online Masters of Science in Management with a focus in Public Relations. This program is designed for recent college graduates as well as professionals who would like to gain a more solid foundation in public relations. The program includes courses such as Legal and Ethical Issues in Global Communications, Public Relations Techniques, Public Relations Campaigns, and more. It is a 36 credit hour program. Rates are currently $659 per credit hour. you can obtain more information at http://www.umuc.edu/programs/grad/msm/public_relations.shtml.