Patriotism isn’t just for Independence Day! Here’s a great craft project to celebrate the American spirit during the winter months!
Construct your hill:
– One round foam ball
– One shoebox
– Silver or blue glitter (or a mixture of both)
– Spray adhesive (optional)
– Glue gun
1. Using the bottom of your shoebox, cut the seams of the corners of the box, so that if pressed down on, the box will flatten.
2. Place your foam ball onto the center of your shoebox base. Secure these together with some glue. (You might want to cut one side of the ball in order to flatten it).
3. Take your Christmas drape and stretch it over the dome and base. Glue the edges of the drape to the underside of the bottom of the base.
4. Sprinkle your glitter over your hill. You can spray an adhesive to the drape before applying the glitter, but this is optional. The texture of the drape will hold the glitter.
*All equipment will require blue paint, a paint brush and side cutters or scissors.
– 4 tongue depressors
– 2 popsicle sticks
– Glue gun
1. Using your side cutters cut 3 of the tongue depressors to 3″ long, with the rounded edges trimmed off.
2. Cut 1 of the popsicle sticks in half.
3. Align the 3 ‘” 3″ sticks together vertically. Glue one half of the popsicle stick horizontally at the top of the 3 sticks and the other half horizontally at the bottom.
4. Cut the other popsicle stick in half. On the same side that you placed the other stick horizontally, glue these halves vertically along the 3 sticks (these will be your runners).
5. When the glue has dried, turn of your sled. Take your 2″ tongue depressor and glue it to the edge of the sled horizontally. This will be your grab bar.
6. Paint the sled in any color you choose.
– 1 ½ popsicle sticks
1. Cut both popsicle sticks in half.
2. Cut one of the halves down the center. These two pieces will be the poles. Two of the other halves will be the skis.
3. Paint the skis.
– ½ of a tongue depressor
1. Cut a tongue depressor in half. This will be your snowboard.
2. Paint the snowboard.
– Paper plate
1. Using the paper plate, cut a circle in the size that you desire.
2. Paint the sled.
– White Play-Do or molding clay
– 4 tooth picks
– Red felt
1. Make four snowmen, rolling the Play-Do into balls and stacking them on top of one another, securing each ball with glue.
2. Break your toothpicks in half and place the pointed ends in the Play-Do to create arms.
3. Use the red felt to make scarves and hats.
– Cut a strip (about 5″ long) for the scarf.
– For one hat, cut two small triangles and glue the edges together. Leave the tip pointed, but trim the edges to make them round.
– For the other hat, use the same instructions for the previous hat, but trim the tip to round it and cut two small strips and attach them so that they hang down from the hat.
– For the headband, cut a piece of felt (about 1 Â½” long).
4. Attach the accessories to the snowmen with glue.
Assemble your project:
1. Secure your snow men on their designated equipment with glue. Then place them on the hill where you would like them. Secure them with glue. (Please note, that because of the weight of the Play-Do, it can be a little tricky to get the snow men to stay upright. This will take a little patience).
2. Print out (or if you already have one to use, that’s fine) an American flag. Secure this onto the display.
3. Create a border around the base of the hill. You can use felt, crepe paper, pipe cleaners, ribbons or anything you desire.
Sit back and enjoy!