Most women learn makeup application on a trial and error basis. This process can last for a lifetime. We have considered advice from other women, fashion magazines, and tutorials, but there is no substitute for professional makeup advice. Here are what I feel are the 10 most important professional makeup tips.
1. Treat your neck and decolletage as well as you treat the skin on your face. These areas are exposed almost as much as your face is, so it is important to follow the same exfoliating, cleansing, and moisturizing routine on all of these visible areas.
2. Primer is a girl’s best friend. The application of a good primer gives your foundation something to adhere to, and results in a smoother, and more polished look.
3. Never get dressed before you apply your makeup. This should be common sense, but look around you! Powders, and makeup in general can be messy. Wait until after you makeup is applied and set before completing your look for the day.
4. Foundation application should never stop at the jaw-line. I don’t care how closely your chosen shade matches your skin tone, this will still result in a “baseline” circa 1982. Use a makeup sponge to gently blend your foundation down your neck and decolletage to ensure an even, natural-looking skin tone.
5. Unkempt eyebrows are my number one pet peeve. There is no point in flawless makeup application if you choose to sport Mad Hatter eyebrows! If you are unsure about doing your eyebrows at home, visit a professional for your first arching. All you have to do after that is a little maintenance for a professional makeup look at home.
6. Balance is key to professional makeup application. If you prefer a dramatic eye look, then balance that with neutral cheeks and a nude lip. The same goes for red lipstick. If you are trying to pull off a cherry-colored pout, then stick to neutral tones on the rest of your face.
7. I love a red lip, when done properly. Not everyone can get away with a crimson lip look. Plenty of blotting needs to occur, in addition to a test run. Wear your chosen shade of red around the house for a day, and see how many surfaces, (forks, cups, spouse, the rest of your face), your lipstick ends up on. If there are traces everywhere, then your color does not have the staying power that you need.
8. Glitter and Shimmer are two different animals. Leave the fairy-dust inspired glitter to 12 year old girls and Tinkerbell. Use shimmer glosses, blushes, and shadows sparingly, and NEVER all at once.
9. There are some really great mascaras on the market, but for a really professional makeup look, I advise trying your hand at applying false eyelashes. These little gems come in a variety of styles, so it may take a little time to find the one that is right for you. False eyelashes are not expensive, so grab a few pairs and experiment. Remember that it only takes a small amount of adhesive to secure the lashes, so don’t overdo it!
10. Know your colors. It does not matter how expertly you apply your makeup, wearing the wrong colors for your skin tone can destroy all the work that you put into looking great. Colors that don’t suit your skin tone can make you look pale, washed out, or even give your skin a green tint.