As each day passes it seems more people have less manners are rude and always in a hurry. Just today at the local gas station I was walking to the door a young lady (approximately 25) was walking out from the store so I hurried to the door before her to open the door and I did. The young lady didn’t even acknowledge my kind act. I though well whatever she doesn’t owe me anything, but a kind thank you would have been appropriate.
See I was raised to be courteous, helpful, thankful, polite and to stand up for what I believe is right and be of assistance to others when I can. I instill this same way of thinking and attitude with my children.
As I did my shopping and came up to the counter and said hello to the sales associate I received no response. She was ringing up the merchandise, I said to her how was your day? Her response was $12.14. I paid the sales associate and took my merchandise and said have nice evening again no response. How about yes you too would have been appropriate at the least. Or how about thanks for shopping with us have a good evening. Has big business gotten so big that they have forgotten proper etiquette training or is this the fault of the sales associate who hates her job? Why does she hate her job? Something to ponder.
See at the age of 12 I started working at the corner grocery at the end of the street we grew up on. We would greet every person that came into the store and while checking out we would talk with them to make them feel welcomed and be part of the family and when they left we would tell them to have a nice day. This was a common routine be polite to the customers, thank them for shopping with us, we wanted a good customer base and it was proper etiquette to be polite even to rude customers. Remember people we are all related in one way or another.
As I returned to my vehicle I though what the hell is wrong with people these days why is everyone so rude. So I though it proper to write this article. The following is in no particular order and I may bounce around a bit it is just proper etiquette training 101 mixed with some common sense.
1) Prior to sitting down to eat wash your hands.
2) When sitting at the breakfast/lunch or dinner table take off your cover(hat).
3) When sitting at the breakfast/lunch or dinner table do not put your elbows on the table.
4) When leaving the breakfast/lunch or dinner table inform the other’s at the table you are excusing yourself or if you are a child ask to leave the table.
5) When someone sneezes say God bless you if you are uncomfortable with that then ask them if there ok.
6) When you sneeze wash your hands quickly do you really want to spread your germs around. This is also proper hygiene.
7) Prior to leaving the restroom wash your hands. This is also proper hygiene.
8) When someone holds a door for you acknowledge them and say thank you. It’s not hard and hell you might even make a friend.
9) People dealing with the public you should always greet your customers this especially applies to civil servants there is no reason to be rude to someone if your having a bad day.
10) When you are done dealing with your customers tell them to have a nice day/afternoon or evening is it really that hard. Hell when people I deal with at work are rude I go out of my way to be extra nice.
11) Stand up when the national anthem is playing and take off your cover (hat).
12) When entering someone’s home ask them if you should remove your shoes why wait for them to tell you and create an uncomfortable situation.
13) When your neighbor walks by and your outside take a minute to say hello and ask him/her how their doing. Its easier to get along with your neighbors then it is to have a feud with them.
14) When speaking to person’s your elder say yes sir or no mam. (not sure how to spell) you get the point.
15) When talking with people say yes not yah.
16) Don’t get involved in gossip it goes against the mind and most of the time its not true anyways.
17) As the old saying goes treat people like you want to be treated. If you want to be rude and nasty people will be rude and nasty back. If you are nice to them chances are they will only ignore you if they are rude and nasty people if pleasant people they will respond in the same manner.
18) Treat family and friends children as if they are your own and be sensitive to their parents wishes.
19) When out to dinner place a napkin over your lap to wipe your hands under the table not to offend those you are eating with.
20) If you have to blow your nose and your at the table excuse yourself so you do not offend the other people eating. Proper hygiene and common sense.
21) Do not I repeat do not pick your teeth at the dinner table this is disgusting. No one wants to see that.
22) If you have excess gas please step into the restroom or away from other people and do your business. I have been around so many men that think it’s funny to rip one and watch everyone scatter come on guys this is disgusting and you make yourself look foolish. Your poor wives. If you squeeze one out by accident say excuse me.
23) When eating please close your mouth no one wants to hear you chewing your food like a wild animal.
24) When in a meeting or in conversation turn your cell phone off or put it on vibrate it is so rude to be having a conversation with someone and their phone starts ringing and they say hang on and talk to someone else when you were just chatting with them of course unless it an emergency then take the call.
25) Don’t talk on the cell phone at the dinner table very rude.
26) When chewing gum keep it to your self. It is rude to chew gum with your jaws bouncing around no one can take you serious you look ridiculous.
27) Close the door when using the restroom.
28) For men when standing at the urinals or sitting on the toilet seat don’t chat with the guy in the next stall this is very uncomfortable just do your business and talk after you washed your hands and left the restroom.
29) When someone is speaking to you listen to them prior to blurting out and interrupting them let the person finish before you speak remember you can’t hear if you aren’t listening.
30) When going about your daily business just be kind and courteous to those around you. I can assure you that not only will you make someone else’s day but you will feel good about yourself. If someone is rude to you just ignore them they are seeking attention and love controversy who needs them oh and by the way if the sales associates and civil servants want to be rude just don’t do business with them anymore they will eventually figure out why they have no consumers to shop at their stores.
31) Talk in a proper manner such as thank you, no thank you etc.
32) Do not use foul language in public this is rude and offensive.
33) When in line do not rush the person in front of you.
34) If you have entire cart full of groceries and the person behind you has two items let them go ahead of you come on how long will that take to get that person through the line again what’s the hurry.
35) Don’t complain about the prices to the sales associate they didn’t price them they are just the clerk. How’s the old saying go don’t shoot the messenger. Send a letter to the CEO.
When The Buddhist greet you they always bow why is this? The Buddhist recognize the Buddha in all of us. What does that mean? Recognize God in the people you meet after all he created all of us.
This is all for proper etiquette training 101 I hope it is helpful and more may be added a later date so check back.
Good Day to all and to all a Good Night