As many people know, being up on the latest technology can be expensive. From smart phones, to pdas, to netbooks it is important, with the nearing of winter, that you know how to protect those valuable items from the damaging effects of the cold. Here are some valuable tips that will keep your gadgets in tip top shape.
1. Take your items inside with you whenever possible. Not only does this reduce the likelihood of theft, but it is the sure fire way to keep those valuable items away from the cold. For things like phones and mp3 players that are small, this is generally what people do and because of their small size it is relatively simple.
2. Buy protective socks or sleeves for you gadgets. With the vast array of both functional and stylish phone sleeves and socks out there it is becoming easier and easier to insulate your valuable gadgets. Things like knit socks for iPods or smartphones are a good bet to both protect your gadget and insulate it. www.overstock.com has some great, inexpensive sleeves for sale.
3. If you must carry your gadgets with you in the cold, make sure you keep it as far away from the cold as possible. Say for instance you are going running in freezing weather and you need to take your phone or mp3 player with you. Your best bet is to keep your gadget under several layers of clothing so that you can still use it but the effects of the cold are buffered by your body heat and clothing.
4. If you have to leave a gadget in the car make sure that it is well hidden from both prying eyes and the cold. By putting it inside sweaters or blankets you can both hide it and reduce the amount of cold that actually comes in contact with your item. If your car has pockets on the backs of your seats this is also a good place for storing items because it helps reduce the effects of the cold.
5. Lastly when you have an expensive item that you have earned, loved, and done everything to protect it is vital that you minimize using it in very cold temperatures. This does not mean stop using it all together just because it is cold outside but rather reduce your use of it when you are out in the cold. Say it’s thirty degrees outside, try not to use your phone as you walk into a store in this temperature but rather wait until you are inside to use your item.
Any of these tips will help extend the life of your tech gadgets and help to save them from the cold and save you from an empty wallet.