Did we forget about Steve Li in San Francisco because of the World Series?
Imagine being sent overseas to be homeless because you did not know that you were an illegal immigrant all these years.
This is the fate of Steve Li.
The Point is this: Sign this petition to Congress! We Need To Bring Steve Li Back Home! Even his local government in San Francisco feels this way.
Why do we need to do this?
Because Safety and peace of mind are what you expect if you are just a normal person that isn’t breaking any laws.
Now imagine, due to something you had no clue about concerning paperwork, you are suddenly detained and thrown in a jail cell?
On top of that, now that you are being detained by the government, everything you know is sitting in your apartment:
– What’s going to happen to your pet?
– Who will gather and keep your memories and keepsakes?
Finally, as if it couldn’t get worse, you are shipped to another country with no friends, no money, no job, and no home when you get there.
*Remember, you are not a criminal and you didn’t know you broke a law. So what did you do?
Evidently, even the San Francisco Board of Supervisors is calling a World Series level FOUL on this one.
Unfortunately, a nursing student in San Francisco named Steve Li got this horrible mess handed to him.
What did he do “wrong”? He was, unbeknownst to him, an illegal alien. He lived here his whole life and didn’t know his parents didn’t fill out the immigration forms correctly.
Do the right thing and GO HERE to fill out a form that gives the shout out to the people in charge.
ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS ENTER YOUR ZIP CODE!!!
*Tell them you think Steve Li needs stay here in the US.
This is not just an Asian American or Immigrant issue, this is about personal safety and peace of mind for normal law-abiding citizens.
This is about telling the government that they can’t go crazy just because some paperwork is out of order.
For Local San Francisco residents, Steve Li’s professor at City College San Francisco, Professor Sang Chi was kind of enough to provide the following:
1) The next organizing meeting is this Thursday at 4PM 11/11/2010 at CCSF 208 Batmale. If you are interested in helping out, please attend. We really need to reach out to other groups. This is not just an Asian Am issue!
2) Our next big action will be a candlelight vigil on Wednesday November 17 at 4:30 PM (location to be announced)
3) We need to keep up our external strategy of making phone calls/sending letters to their offices. I can’t emphasize more how important these calls are! Calls are tracked on a daily basis, faster than letters are, so we still need to be making a consistent flow ofcalls to their offices!My name is Sang Chi. I was Steve’s Asian American history professor at CCSF and also one of a small group of friends, family and community organizers that have been working on stopping Steve’s deportation.
Learn More Here:
Main Page/Petition/Explanation/Updates: Bring Steve Li Back Home
FaceBook/Updates: Bring Steve Li Back Home