Ah it’s Christmas time once again. That glorious time of year when you and your significant other get to spend blissful amounts of time reveling in each other’s love and showering each other with gifts. Of course for most of you the holidays don’t contain any of that. If you are fortunate enough to find yourself attached to someone this time of year, your holiday season most likely consists of frantic brainstorming and mall wandering trying desperately not to relive the previous years debacle. The one where you got him a hundred dollar scarf that’s now buried somewhere deep in the bowels of his closet never to be found, thought of, or worn again.
Well in order to do this very thing there are a few gifts and gift ideas that should be avoided like the plague. The following gifts are those taboo items that – for some odd unknowable reason – most ladies continue to buy for their boyfriends year after year dooming themselves to receive only a courtesy smile and one armed hug in return. If you really care about him then get him something he’ll really enjoy and that you may get some use out of too – checkout “Best Holiday Gadgets for the Guys” for some great ideas he’ll love.
6 Gifts You Should Never Get Your Boyfriend
1) The Sweater – The Mac Daddy of them all the traditional holiday sweater is something his mom or grandma should be getting him, not you. This doesn’t just stop at Bill Cosby sweaters either, when you see “sweater” think all clothing. It may look great on him and, of course, as with all things in this world there will be exceptions to this rule but if your boyfriend is just something you want to dress up then get a mannequin; they complain less and are usually in better shape.
2) Coupons for “Time With Me” – this isn’t a gift for him this is a gift for you. While this is a perfectly sweet gesture be sure he would rather you spend a little bit of money and get something you can both use WHILE spending time together. Get him a blu-ray player and watch movies together, the “Time With Me” coupon – which I have personal experience with – just says “I couldn’t think of anything” or “I’m broke”. Oh, and being broke is not a good enough excuse either.
3) Jewelry – This has become something of a pandemic among women and I hope this advice takes us one step closer to curing it. Unless it’s a really nice watch, which is acceptable, most jewelry is useless for men. The occasional necklace, and if he’s really brave maybe a manly bracelet, is the only jewelry you will ever see him wear. So while the though behind a locket with your picture in it is nice, his reaction to it will be far less enthusiastic than you’d like.
4) Relationship Books – Another gift for you ladies that you somehow project on us, the relationship book is identical to us getting you a gym membership, major no no. Wanting to better the relationship is great, forcing it on your boyfriend is, well, doing the opposite of that. If he’s not allowed to get you a gym membership without implying that you’re fat then you’re not allowed to get him a relationship advice book without implying that he’s a bad boyfriend. Deal? Deal.
5) Sexy Clothing for Him – While this may seem like a good idea, even to the guys at first, it really ends up backfiring most of the time. Two main reasons come to mind: one, men are uncomfortable wearing revealing tight clothing, this is why boxers replaced briefs years ago; and two, the present may have to be opened in front of the family leading to unwanted questions, comments and concerns. He will love the fact that you want to spice things up – if that is in fact what you are trying to do – but he would rather it not involve him wearing anything uncomfortable.
6) A Pet for the Both of You – A whopping punch in the “fear of commitment” bone, this is something that should be avoided at all costs unless you both had the idea and are going to pick the pet out together. Depending on the stage in your relationship the severity of this gift will change, however nothing says “stage 5 clinger” like getting him a gift that binds you together until that gift passes away. Who wan’t a gift that pees on the carpet anyway? Not him.
While the list above is definitely on the humorous side there are certainly some truths to be taken out of each of these “do not buy” suggestions. Cliche though it may be the thought does truly count more than the present. Remember though, the thought packages out much nicer at an electronics store. Happy Holidays and Good Luck Ladies.