Food shopping at my local Publix supermarket is a pleasure, and something I actually enjoy. The food, the employees and the service are always excellent.
I especially enjoy the food demonstrations and tastings presented by Apron’s. Apron’s is a program created by Publix to “help customers rediscover the joys of preparing a meal at home.”
The Apron’s program includes
- Simple meals recipes, quick to prepare and good to eat
- In-store cooking demonstrations where customers can taste and learn
- Easy to read recipe cards and shopping lists
- All the ingredients in one place, if you decide to try the recipe at home
- Separate cooking classes taught by chefs where skilled cooks and novices can expand their cooking skills
Recently while shopping at my local Publix, I watched the preparation of, and tasted Quick Spanish Pot Roast and decided to make the recipe at home. You can easily find these ingredients at any supermarket. With a few modifications this recipe turned out quite well
Speedy, Spicy, Spanish Pot Roast
- 2 bags of Boil in the Bag rice
- 1 (17-oz.) fully cooked Beef Roast (undrained), found in the meat section
- 1 (10-oz.) can of Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Chiles
- 1 small jar of green salad olives…can be served on the side to cater to olive haters
- 1 can of corn
- Cook rice according to directions on package
- Place pot roast, tomatoes, and olives in a large sauté pan or electric fry pan.
- Cook and stir 10 minutes, breaking up pot roast until ingredients are heated and blended.
- Heat corn, drain and add to pot roast mixture
- Shred meat with 2 forks, mix together, and serve over rice
You can serve this easy meal with some Cuban bread and maybe some flan (a Spanish custard) for dessert.