Second base has been historically a stable position for the Atlanta Braves over the years. The following is a list of my Top 5 All-time Atlanta Braves’ second baseman.
1. FELIX MILLAN– Millán was the first starting second baseman and the best thus far in Atlanta Braves history. Millan played in a total of three All-Star games in his career-all with the Braves-in 1969, 1970 and 71. Additionally, the second baseman won two Gold Glove awards.. Millan’s career with the Braves began in 1966 and ended via a trade in 1972. Millan might not get the publicity as other Braves players of the past, but he was a stabilizing force on the field defensively.
2. MARK LEMKE – Lemke was another solid defensive player, but he was a part of the successful Braves teams of the 1990’s. Lemke had begun as a utility guy, but his role slowly increased as integral defensive star. In the postseason is where Lemke was able to make a name for himself/He was a triple machine in 1991 after hitting four triples in the worst-to-first World Series versus the Twins.Not known for his bat, Lemke’s offensive performance in the postseason helped to give him a spot as the starting second baseman beginning in 1992. Even though Lemke didn’t hit for a great batting average, he was steadying force in the infield and was a part of the 1995 team that won the World Series
3. GLENN HUBBARD– Hubbard strated strong offensively and was an All-Star in 1983; however, he was mostly a great defensive player who was part of the Braves teams of the 1980’s that struggled.
4. MARCUS GILES– Giles was probably the most offensively gifted second baseman in ATLANTA Braves history. Giles did have an All-Star appearance, but like Hubbard he slowly faded and at times he struggled defensively-this is why he is lower on this list.
5. DAVEY JOHNSON-Davey Johnson was a very successful All-Star, Gold Glove second baseman prior to his two-year stint in Atlanta via a trade. Johnson had a 40 homerun season in 1973, but was released in early 1975.