Throwing out leftovers has become taboo in my house. Times are tough, no one can afford to throw out food. Stir-fry is a great way to use leftovers. It uses leftover meat as well as leftover vegetables. It can be adapted to whatever you have on hand, and to your personal tastes. The beauty of stir-fry, is it totally transforms the leftovers. If you don’t tell your family, they won’t know they are eating leftovers!
Basic Stir-Fry Recipe
1 cup chopped, cooked meat (chicken, pork, or beef)
1 – 2 cups chopped, cooked vegetables ( fresh or canned veggies can be used, drain first)
handful of sliced mushrooms
1/2 of an onion, sliced
handful of cashews
2 Tbls. oil
1/4 – 1/2 cup bottled Stir-fry sauce, I recommend House of Tsang
Hot cooked rice or noodles
Hot cooked egg rolls
1. Make sure all the veggies are chopped about the same size. This allows for even cooking. If you are using frozen veggies, they must be thawed first. Fresh veggies like broccoli and cauliflower must be boiled for 3-5 mins first. Cool down with cold water and drained before using. If they were cooked already, actual leftovers, they do not need to be parboiled first.
2. Have all ingredients out and ready to use before you heat the oil. Once you start, this dish is very quick to make.
3. Heat a large skillet or wok on high. When hot, add oil. Sprinkle with salt and add onions. Cook onions, stirring constantly for 3 mins. Just until they soften.
4. Add meat. Cook for 3 -5 mins. Stirring constantly. The meat is cooked, you just want to make sure it gets hot.
5. Add any firm, raw vegetables and cook for 3 mins.
6. Add any cooked or canned vegetables and cook for 3 mins. Don’t forget to stir the entire time. Stirring is what gets everything cooked.
7. When all the meat and veggies are hot, add the mushrooms, cashews, and Stir-fry sauce. Stir well to mix. Make sure everything gets coated.
8. Pour into a bowl. Serve with rice and egg rolls.
Everything about this recipe can be altered. Amounts can be changed to serve more or less. You can omit the meat all together. You can start from scratch and cook everything fresh. Just increase cooking times. Bar-B-Que works really well in stir-fry. Use whatever you have and what your family will eat. It is a great way to use leftovers. Give it a try.