If you or someone you love suffers from bipolar disorder, you know the difficulties that this condition can cause. Bipolar disorder is also known as manic depression or manic depressive disorder and is a behavior disorder that affects the chemistry of the brain. This is a life-long condition that can lead to severe mood swings from manic episodes and extreme highs to very depressive and debilitating lows.
The National Institute of Mental Health reports that over 2 million adults have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. While there is no cure for bipolar disorder, there are treatments available that can help people with the condition live a normal, productive life.
Here are some things to consider if you are suffering from bipolar disorder or if you want to help a family member that you know who has the condition:
1. First, be sure you work with a qualified professional who you trust and who is experienced in disorders like this. It’s very important that the bipolar person has a relationship with a medical professional whom they trust in order to help them through the different stages of the disorder.
2. Always take your medication as prescribed. If there is concern that you will not take your medicine throughout certain stages of the disorder, then you should seek help with this from someone you trust who can ensure you get your medicine when it’s time and on time.
3. Spend time with friends and family and avoid becoming too isolated. Spending time alone can be dangerous and can even worsen the condition in some cases.
4. Try to reduce stress. While it’s not possible to completely get rid of all of the stress in your life, you should try to reduce it in as many areas as you can. This will help you find time to relax and avoid triggering manic depressive episodes.
5. Learn as much as you can about the condition. You should try to learn all that you can about bipolar and your specific condition as well as your triggers and other factors. This knowledge will be your most important tool in living a healthy, productive life with bipolar disorder.
These may sound like simple tips but they can have a big impression on anyone with bipolar. When you learn to implement them into your life, it can also have an effect on your quality of life with the condition. Take time to get informed and it will help your quality of life for the rest of your life.