Parents should take their children to a Pediatric dentist after they get their first few teeth. Bring them with you, and have them sit on your lap while you have your teeth cleaned. Read them books and show them pictures about dentists and introduce them to a Pediatric dentist in your neighborhood.
Do not wait until your child has tooth pain. It is possible for children as young as two to get a cavity. Too many sweets to eat or drink and heredity can cause children to develop cavities. It is never too early to introduce your youngster to Pediatric dentists. They specialize in children dentistry and make going to a dentist seem like fun.
My first experience with a dentist when I was a child was painful. I cried whenever I had to go. They used a drill on my teeth without using Novocaine. I do not think that Novocaine was used at that time. The pain was unbearable.
They never filled a tooth on the first visit. They dipped cotton in some type of liquid and packed it into the drilled tooth. A week later, when i returned, they removed the packing and filled it with a silver filling. I screamed and yelled going in and cried when I left. I remember it as if were yesterday, and to this day, I fear going to the dentist.
Pediatric dentists have offices decorated with children in mind from the ceiling to the floor. There are tables, games, books, dolls and toys geared for the young patient. Video games and television sets might also be available for an older child and soft little toys for the youngest.
Nothing in a Pediatric dental office will make a child of any age fear going to the dentist.The drills do not make noise. In fact, your child might beg you to return because they were having so much fun in the Pediatric dental office.
Introduce your child to a dentist when they are young. Allow them to sit in your lap when you have a dental examination. Have your dentist show the child smaller dental instruments. Do not have the dentist treat your teeth or use the drill. The noise might scare the child. A dental visit of this type will show the child not to fear a dentist.
Take your child to a Pediatric dentist when their baby teeth come in. The dentist will make sure the teeth are straight and healthy and will teach you how to brush and care for the baby teeth.
1. Pediatric dental offices are usually painted in bright and fun colors. There tables and chairs for a child to sit on and crayons and coloring books, blocks and dolls. A Pediatric dental office is set up to a fun place for children of all ages.
2. Sugarless lollipops or a toy might be rewarded to the child after the visit. Those a little older might go home with a coloring book and crayons or a book they can read by themselves.
3. Buy a book about a child and a first Pediatric dental visit. Show the child the pictures of the happy youngster sitting in a dental chair getting their teeth examined.
4. Never mention that you hate going to the dentist even if you think you are out of hearing range of the child. Keep dental remarks light and positive so they do not learn to fear a dentist.
5. Buy a fun looking toothbrush. Allow the child to pick one out. Even two front teeth should be brushed.
Make every step about going to a dentist fun and exciting. It is never too early to establish a healthy relationship between a child and a Pediatric dentist.
Cavities can be found at any age should be taken care of immediately. My great-granddaughter was not quite five years old when she had three root canals and crowns put on a few teeth. She drank too much soda and ate too many sweets.
Source: My own experiences and life time knowledge