Here are ten apple orchards and their contact information in and around Ellijay, Georgia. Gilmer County is the “Apple Capital of the World.” Be sure to visit several of these to secure different varieties of apples available in the North Georgia Mountains.
• Aaron’s Apple House, Highway 52 East, (706) 273-3180, website: www.aaronsapplehouse.com
• B. J. Reece Apple House, 9131 Highway 52 East, (706) 276-3048, website: www.reeceorchards.com
• Hillcrest Orchards (nine miles east of Ellijay), 9696 Highway 52 East, 706/273-9898, website: www.hillcrestorchards.net.
• Panorama Orchards, Inc., Highway 515, East Ellijay, (706) 276-3813, website: www.panoramaorchards.com
• R & A Orchards, 5505 Highway 52 East, (706) 273-3821, website: www.randaorchards.com
• Red Apple Barn, Highway 282/US 76 (three miles east of Ellijay), (706) 673-5898, website: www.redapplebarn.com
• Mack Aaron’s Apple House, 8700 Highway 52 East, (706) 273-3180, no website listed that I could find.
• Penland’s Apple House, Highway 515 Bypass, (706) 635-5110, no website listed that I could find.
• Seller’s Orchard, Highway 52 East (seven miles east of Ellijay) (706) 273-3026, no website listed that I could find
• Hudson’s Apple House, 8036 Highway 52 East, (706) 273-3160, no website listed that I could find.
It might be a great idea, especially with the ones that have no website listed, to call ahead and check hours available-particularly if you are traveling a long distance. Having no website in no way indicates the quality of locally grown orchards and their products such as these. The apple season runs from late August to December each year. Prices are great and the apples are the absolute freshest you can find. Ellijay boasts the first available crop available in the United States.