Despite his protestations that he didn’t have enough time to hire a lawyer, embattled New York democratic House representative Charlie Rangel has been found guilty on 11 of 12 counts brought against him by a congressional ethics committee made up of four republicans and four democrats. However, many would be surprised to discover what Rangel was actually charged with. The top ten most surprising of these charges are listed below.
1. Operating a Segway scooter tour of the White House and Capitol as a side business without proper paperwork.
2. Camping out in the parking garage below the Capitol building for a year after his house was flooded.
3. Accepting a free lunch at Taco Bell, consisting of eight tacos and three bean burritos, from lobbyists working for the banks.
4. Using the Capitol rotunda for midnight racquet ball games.
5. Setting aside hundreds of millions of dollars for improvements on Sesame Street in New York, in exchange for Oscar the Grouch’s help in roughing up his political opponents.
6. Playing poker on the floor of the House.
7. Operating a factory in Dominican Republic which makes Charlie Rangel dolls, and not telling the IRS about it.
8. Illegally gathering donations for a Charlie Rangel monument which will dwarf the Statue of Liberty.
9. Espousing the view that New York City is the best place to live in the U.S..
10. Eating turkeys legs and pizza while voting and debating important issues in the House of Representatives.
For the The Top Ten Ways Queen Elizabeth Will Tell Prince Charles that He Can’t Be King click here.