Thanksgiving day is a great day to make special memories with your kids and help them reflect upon what they have to be thankful for. Usually after the meal most people settle down for a nap or do something quiet but why not take the chance to do something fun with your kids! Here is a look at some fun activities to do on Thanksgiving day with kids.
1. Start your Christmas shopping! There are actually many stores that are open for a short time on Thanksgiving day or that have special online deals. These deals are often better than Black Friday deals (the day after Thanksgiving). One way to get your child into the Christmas spirit a bit early is to take them shopping for a charity such as Toys for Tots. Let them pick out a toy for a child in need or buy some warm weather clothing to donate to a local shelter and then take them out for hot chocolate. Not only are you teaching them to have a giving heart but it will also help give them a moment to reflect on all that they have to be thankful for.
2. Break out the games! If the weather is nice enough gather the whole family up to go outside and play a game such as Frisbee, football, baseball or basketball. Kids will love the family time and get a chance to burn off any extra energy they may have and it gives families a chance to have some fun, healthy, outdoor fun! If the weather is too cold or outdoor games are not an option try board games such as Monopoly, Scrabble or fun Scene It games that both adults and kids will enjoy.
3. Bring out the Christmas decorations! Why not get into the Christmas spirit a bit early? Bring out the Christmas decorations, put on some Christmas carols and enjoy decorating the house together. For smaller children parents give them their own special decorations that are not breakable and allow them to decorate their own little corner of the house.
4. Go see a movie. There are many movie theaters that are open on Thanksgiving day and generally at least one or two kid friendly movies to see. This is another great activity to take part in especially for those places with the colder climates.
5. Have movie day at home. Lastly if the budget does not allow for extra such as going to see a movie, just have a movie day at home. Bring out all the favorites that families can enjoy together and spend the day laughing and having fun together which is after all, one of the best parts about Thanksgiving.