Raleigh is a great city to visit. Not only is it the capital city of the state of North Carolina and named after Sir Walter Raleigh, but it is home to some of the best sporting events in the country.
Here are 5 things that every sports enthusiast needs to do while in the Raleigh area:
1. Attend a Carolina Hurricane’s game at the RBC center. There is nothing like being there and being a part of the action and excitement of a game. Be prepared, North Carolinian’s take their sports seriously, you will find most of the crowd adorned in team attire and some will even paint their faces and decorate their cars.
2. Attend a local football game between NC State and UNC Chapel Hill. The rivalry is fierce and you will be forced to choose sides. You will see loyal followers wearing baby blue for UNC Chapel Hill and red and black for NC State. These games can be held at either campus though most times you will find it in Chapel Hill which is right outside of the Raleigh area. The excitement spills over into the town and local bars and restaurants are taken over by sports fans, alumni, and visitors. Duke University is also located in Durham and their games are also well attended.
3. Attend a Carolina Railhawks Soccer game in Cary, NC. Cary is adjacent to Raleigh and an easy commute. The Railhawks play in the United Soccer League. The stadium is large, has food and beverages, and great parking. The best thing however is the price. Attending a soccer game here is affordable and fun for everyone.
4. Plan to attend an NCAA College Basketball game while in town. These games are held in Raleigh and the surrounding area depending upon who is playing. Some are held at the RBC center, some at UNC Chapel Hill, and some at the NC State Campus. Get your tickets early since diehard fans and alumni buy them up early. You can choose from Men’s or Women’s Basketball games.
5. Last but not least is attending a Durham Bulls game in Durham. Durham is right next to Raleigh and an easy commute via I40 and route 147. Who can forget the movie “Bull Durham”? It was filmed right in Durham stadium. The Bulls play AAA minor league baseball. The stadium has food vendors from all over the area, a great gift shop, as well as entertainment during and throughout the game.
Raleigh and sports go together like apple pie and vanilla ice cream! You are bound to find a game going on somewhere in the Raleigh area whenever you visit. Some combine their trip with a stop in Charlotte to see the Carolina Panther’s play some unforgettable football. Panther tickets do go fast so be sure to order those in advance. Charlotte is also the home of NASCAR racing. When you come to Raleigh – kick back, enjoy some Carolina BBQ and attend a local sports game, you’ll be glad you did!