I am often quiet frustrated to the question many fools raise which is “what did Obama do ?” Well so far he accomplished a lot of things. Yes, I gave him a failing grade after one year because I felt that he did not fight as hard as I thought he would. However, that does not stop the fact that he accomplished a lot of things in a short period. I hope that they, for once, look at the truth and not listen to other mindless clowns on Fox. To the idiots who ask what did Obama do, here you go :
Iraq, Afghanistan and War on Terrorism :
– Ordered and began the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq (Unnecessary, unjustified war)
– Ended the stop-loss Policy (that began with Bush Jr.) that kept soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan longer than their enlistment.
– Phasing out of the unconstitutional Guantanamo Bay prison. Also ordered the closing of secret detention facilities in the world.
– Phased out the expensive F-22 War planes which are highly expensive and were not even used in Iraq or Afghanistan.
-Ordered the increase of pay for military personnel.
-Deployed additional troops to Afghanistan which resulted in the capture and killing of many AlQaeda leaders which was the point of the war from the beginning.
Science & Health :
– Removed restrictions on embryonic stem-cell research.
-Expanded the SCHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Program) to offer healthcare for 4 million more children.
– Raised the Tobacco tax 62 cents on a pack of cigrarettes to finance the expansion of health insurance for children and help smokers to quit.
– Passed the Healthcare Reform Act which expands Medicaid eligibility, subsidies insurance premiums, provides incentive for businesses to provide healthcare benefits, prohibits the denial of coverage based on pre-existing conditions not to mention that it would cover an additional 31 million Americans who are uninsured.
Auto Industry :
-Signed the cash for clunkers program to stimulate auto sales and more fuel efficient cars.
-Enacted higher fuel efficiency standards for states.
– US Auto industry rescue plan which under it GM has finally made profits which something they have not done in years !
– Signed the Housing rescue plan.
– Signed the $789 billion economic stimulus plan.
– Ended the previous Policy of offering tax benefits to corporations who outsource American jobs.
-Increased infrastructure spending (roads, bridges, etc) which has not been done in ages ! Now we can finally have faster trains that has been used for years in other countries.
-Increased job creation for the first time in 2 years.
-Signed the Wall street Reform & Consumer Protection Act so we can finally have some regulations !
Foreign Policy :
-Restarted the nuclear proliferation and was successful in meeting with 47 presidents in a 3 day nuclear summit to lower the nuclear weapons which was a treaty signed between US and Russia.
-The first sitting US president to preside over a meeting at the United Nations Security Council.
-Won the Nobel Peace Prize.
– Instituted enforcement for equal pay fo women.
– Appointment of first Latina to the Supreme Court.
-Appointment of Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court.
– Increased the Pell Grant scholarship award by the double.
– Ended the role of private banks in lending out federally-insurend student loans.
– Made it easier for parents to qualify for Grad PLUS loans to improve their education.
– Loans will be easier to be forgiven after 20 years (not 25 anymore).
– Signed the Jobs Bill which will save 300,000 teachers.
Now I am sure there are many more things that he has accomplished. I am also sure there is plenty more that he can accomplish. But to sit and argue that he has not done anything is a complete tomfoolery. This president has done a lot. Is the economy doing better ? Yes it is . But the economy has been in a down spiral for a long long time and it will take some time to come back. It will take some time for all these jobs that we lost to return but I am confident that if the Senate and the House stood behind the president then many more accomplishments will be made.
P.S. all these bills, acts, and laws were ALL blocked by the Republicans.