Halloween is a great time of year for families with young children. There are a lot of activities to do together and a lot of ways to maximize your time as a family. Holiday movies are one way to build memories or even start traditions. These five movies are the best ones to curl up with as Halloween approaches.
1. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949) is a short Disney movie that the whole family can enjoy. It’s based on Washington Irving’s short story of the same name and is a spooky classic. Ichabod Crane and Brom Bones are rivals for the affection of Katrina Van Tassel. Crane’s journey home from the Van Tassel’s Halloween frolic finds him trying to evade the Headless Horseman. Will Ichabod Crane get away from the Headless Horseman? Who will win the hand of Katrina Van Tassel? Watch and see.
2. The Canterville Ghost (1986) stars both British legend John Gielgud and a young Alyssa Milano. It is based on a story by Oscar Wilde and showcases the atmospheric setting of the dreary English countryside in the fall. The Cantervilles have inherited the family castle, but they must stay there for three months before they can take full ownership. Skittish relatives and strange happenings soon let the family know that they are not alone there. A relative wracked with guilt has been haunting the place and he’s quite cranky!
3. The Worst Witch (1986) stars Fairuza Balk as Mildred Hubble, the worst student at Miss Cackle’s Academy for Witches. Her main obstacles at the school are Miss Hardbroom, an unsympathetic form mistress who wants to see her fail, and Ethel Sallow, a fellow student who does everything perfectly. When Mildred discovers Miss Cackle’s sister is plotting to take over the school, it is up to her to stop it. A precursor to Harry Potter, the over-the-top costumes and cheesy songs make for a memorable night with this movie.
4. Mr. Boogedy (1986) relates the story of the Davis family, headed by a gag salesman father. They have only just moved into an old house in a small New England town called Lucifer Falls, when a neighbor warns them about the house’s tragic history. Undeterred, the family ignores this warning about the Boogedy man and decides to stay in the house. However, supernatural hauntings make the Boogedy man and his sad tale impossible to ignore. Now the Davis family must decide how to face him and save their house.
5. Hocus Pocus (1993) is another Halloween classic from Disney. On Halloween night Max Dennison unwittingly brings the Sanderson sisters, witches who have been dead for 300 years, back to life. They are desperate to stay alive, but they need to steal the life force of many children to do this. The film follows Max Dennison, his sister, love interest, and the ghost of one of the sisters’ victims in an attempt to sabotage their plans and send them back to the afterlife. Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy, and Sarah Jessica Parker shine as the Sanderson sisters and infuse a lot of humor into this spooky story.
Halloween is a great time for families because of the wonderful activities. In between the haunted houses, pumpkin patches, and hayrides make a movie night that the whole family can enjoy.