Though Pres. Obama has often referred to his administration as being one of the “greenest” in history, a presidential aide quietly declined to allow an environmental group to place solar panels on the roof of the White House. While citing the need for room for snipers to sit on the roof and other post-9/11 security changes, team Obama appears to have killed the possibility of reinstalling solar panels on the White House roof. Jimmy Carter had solar panels installed, after which Ronald Reagan had them removed because they interfered with his sunbathing. However, some in the press believe that the president also doesn’t live a very “green lifestyle” in private. Listed below are the top 10 signs that the White House isn’t environmentally green.
1. When brushing his teeth President Obama often lets the sink run warm water for a couple of minutes while he talks to his wife about interesting things that happened during the day.
2. Vice President Joe Biden regularly leaves the lights on in his office at the White House, when asked about saving electricity Biden reportedly replied, “ghosts and monsters are allergic to light so why wouldn’t I use it to disinfect my office each night?”
3. Though first lady Michelle Obama makes a big deal about her five-acre vegetable garden on the White House’s back lawn, she prefers to have all of her food flown in from European countries like Spain and Italy at enormous cost.
4. When the Secret Service offered to get him a new battery powered presidential limo, President Obama declined as he wanted something that “feels like a real car” on the road, instead of a golf cart.
5. Bo the White House dog still prefers to go to the bathroom in a box of kitty litter, instead of outside, and the Obama’s have obliged him even though this is an obvious waste of taxpayers money. It is also said that Bo has taken several unnecessary helicopter trips to PetSmart since moving into the White House.
6. Though the White House tries to recycle as much as possible, President Obama likes to sit in the Oval Office and throw crushed up aluminum cans into the regular trash to get practice playing basketball.
7. Though he often says that global warming is a proven fact, Pres. Obama likes to keep the White House a comfy 82° in the winter, and chill it down to 72° in the summer so that he doesn’t sweat too much inside after shooting some hoops.
8. Vice president Joe Biden, when Pres. Obama is away on vacation during the holidays, often has the White House staff use kerosene heaters to heat the outdoor swimming pool so that he can take a dip when it’s freezing. Environmentalists have complained that this is a wasteful use of oil, but the vice president has replied, “I need to feel relaxed so that I can help solve the country’s problems”.
9. Instead of turning garden clippings and brush into compost, Pres. Obama has ordered the White House gardeners to burn all of their yard waste in a giant bonfire each Saturday. Even though local Washington DC residents have complained about the smoke and smell, Pres. Obama says he has no plans to change this aspect of White House operations any time soon.
10. Instead of walking across the street to the 7-11 across from the vice presidential residence, vice president Joe Biden often takes a 17 car motorcade to the convenience store, sometimes just so he can get a Slurpee.
For The Ten Necessary Steps for Obtaining a Rare Faberge Spider Brooch click here.