If you are a new to basing on your cheerleading team, then here are some good starter tips to help you out.
1. Flyer’s safety – The flyer’s safety is very important and bases need to make sure that the flyer does not touch the ground. That is this goal. If she does falls then focus and catch her so that her head, neck, and back are safe. When falling you need to let go of the flyer’s feet (so she doesn’t flip), catch high, and wrap the flyer.
2. Firm grip -In stunts and pyramids the base(s) needs to squeeze on the flyer’s foot. This makes the flyer more comfortable in a stunt and she will not move as much in the air.
3. Use your legs-When lifting the base(s) should always use their legs. It will make it easier to lift a stunt.
4. Don’t lift with your back – Lifting with your back makes stunts, pyramids, and baskets more difficult. Again try lifting with your legs as they are the strongest group of muscles in your body.
5. Lock your arms – When holding a stunt, make sure that you keep your arms locked out. It will allow you to use less energy and hold a stunt longer.
6. Adjust slightly -When an adjustment needs to be made, make sure you make subtle movements. Drastic movements will throw the flyer off and she might fall.
7. How to catch softly -In order to catch a flyer as soft as possibly you need to catch her as high as possible and slow her down into your arms as you absorb the catch with your legs. Don’t just put your arms straight out and catch her at your body. The force will make you fall forward, and if you have another base catching, then you will pump heads.
8. How to throw higher -The secret to throwing higher is to use the flyer’s momentum and jump as you throw. Jumping will force you to use your legs quickly like and explosion. Then make sure you extend your arms which will force you to throw through the toss as much as possible.
9. Utilize momentum -The flyer should be jump and pushing through the stunt as much as possible which will give momentum. As a base you need to utilize this momentum or flow to get more power in the stunt. This will make stunts easier and lighter.
10. Hold your ground -If you are under a pyramid or stunt, hold your ground as much as you can. This is done by squeezing and staying tight throughout your body.
11. Timing is important -Timing between you, the flyer, and any other bases is very important. If any one of you are off it can actually make the stunt/basket/pyramid more difficult.
12. Don’t stunt/build scared -Don’t be a scared base. This will cause you to stunt passive and the stunt will fall.