Senior Citizens can sell homes for profit by staging the house before placing it on the market. Making the old house look fresh, new and clean is a sure way for elderly retired senior citizens to sell a house for profit. Think about what you would want a house to look like if you were looking to buy a home.
1. Walk out of your house. Lock the front door and walk to your car. Drive around the block a few times, or treat yourself to ice cream at the Ice Cream Parlor. The idea is to look at the house when you return as if you were a potential home buyer who is house-hunting, and ready to buy a house. It is not hard for senior citizens to sell a house for profit.
2. Pull up to the curb and get out of the car. Take a quick glance at the outside of the house, the grass and the flowers and plants. Does the house look drab and dirty? Are the plants dead or the flowers wilting? Has the grass been freshly mowed? Are there brown spots on the grass? If looks uninviting then imagine how it will look to a potential buyer. Elderly Senior Citizens sell a house for profit if they are prepared to make substantial changes to the home before putting a “For Sale” sign in front of the house.
3. Walk to the front door. What do you see? Is the door filthy and rusted in spots or is the old paint peeling? If the steps have hand railings, are they sturdy or broken? Does the doorbell work? The front door is the first thing a potential buyer will see before entering to look at the interior of the house.
Elderly seniors sell a house for profit when they give the door a fresh coat of paint. If there are steps leading up to the front door make sure they are not chipped or broken. An uninviting front or back door could make potential buyers walk away before they open the door.
4. Enter the house as if you were a buyer. What is your first impression? Are there toys on the floor, old newspapers strewn on the end-tables and does the room smell from stale cigarette smoke? Unpleasant odors and clutter will not sell a house. In fact, it turns potential buyers away quickly. Too much furniture in a room makes a small room look even smaller.
5. Throw away or put away all furniture in the room except for two chairs, a sofa and a few tables and lamps. Fewer furnishings make a room look larger. Paint the room a bright new color. Remove the old out-of-date drapes. In its place hang sheer light curtains or blinds on the windows. Make it look new and attractive so senior citizens will sell their house quickly.
6. Walk into the kitchen. Is the room cluttered? Are the kitchen cabinets lacking doors? Is the kitchen counter outdated? How about the kitchen appliances. Give the kitchen a complete do-over. The amount of money you spend to update the cabinets and the kitchen counter will be worth it in the end. Elderly seniors sell a house for profit and an updated kitchen will cause the house to sell for top dollar. Do the same for the bathrooms. Replace the chipped and old sinks with Vessel sinks and a new colored toilet seat.
7. Check-out all the closets. Get new hangers and hang up articles of clothing lying on the floor. This includes blouses,sweaters, slacks and pants, and get the shoes off the floor. Buy a shoe rack. Clean or straighten anything on the upper shelves. These simple fix-it-upper tips will cause Senior citizens to sell a house for profit.
8. Donate old books and out-of-date magazines to the Library. Take all of the family pictures off the wall. Store them in a box along with other family keepsakes. Paint the room if it is needed. Make the house sparkle and look as if no one lives there. The windows should be washed, carpets vacuumed so there are rug vacuum stripes showing. Cover each bed with a bedspread and a few toss pillows. Furniture or furnishings that are not absolutely needed can be sold at a garage sale.
After you have finished “staging” your house. Walk out the front door to the curb. How does the house appear to you now when you look at it from this distance? Walk back to the house, open the door and re-enter. If you smile and utter “wow”, you know that the next buyer who is a serious buyer will purchase it. Staging a house prior to placing it on the market will increase the chances of an aging Senior citizens to sell the house for a profit.