Congratulations if your children and spouse has no weight issues. Congratulations even more if you have no weight issues. You and your family are a rare exception. Weight issues are plaguing the United States and it is not just the adults that are affected; our children are as well. For this reason, many families needs to go back to the basics and remember some basic tips on how to become slim once again such as:
• Begin by counting those sugary drinks and yes sodas count. Did you drink sodas as a child? Most adults would say no. Most of our parents wouldn’t dream of allowing us to have sodas every day. Yet, colas sit in most of our refrigerators today. Put a limit on sugary drinks such as sodas, sports drinks, and even punches. Start drinking more fruit juices.
• Don’t eat in front of the television, all the time. Make this a treat that happens on special family only occasions. Remember this is when we do most of our overeating.
• Take the time and prepare snacks in premeasurable portions. This can help prevent overeating.
• Make sure all adults and children are getting enough sleep. If we are sleep deprived, we tend to overeat.
• Eat better yourself. If the adults are eating healthy foods the children may very well follow your lead.
• Limit the amount of salt everyone eats. If the children in the household are eating too much salt they will of course want to drink more and you will have to say no to those sodas more often, too.
• Check the calorie count of the meals you are eating at restaurants. Many of those meals, even those kids’ meals contain too many calories. (Note: Check out this article: Beware of these high calorie kids meals) You may even want to teach your children that it is going to split the entrees from the regular menu, thus saving on some calories.
Remember what you teach your children now about eating will extend on into their lifetime. Lead by example and help teach your entire family better eating habits. This will help your family become slimmer and healthier.